Question

Top Student
CurrentResident
Message 1 of 15 (2,406 Views)

HP Officejet Pro 8600 fax from computer will not fax more than one page without canceling job

HP Officejet Pro 8600 MFP running on Windows 7 64 bit. I purchased this printer almost a month ago. The install was simple and straight forward with no apparent problems but when trying to fax from computer the program seems to be only able to fax one page faxes. Any multiple page faxes will show a message "spooling" for 10 to 15 seconds then it will cancel the entire fax. I have tried this in both wired and wireless modes with the same results. I have sent 30 page plus faxes from the printer without any problems, it is only the fax from computer that seems to have memory issues. Any solutions out there?

Honor Student
amwhiteh
Message 2 of 15 (2,174 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8600 fax from computer will not fax more than one page without canceling job

I am having the same problem.  I'm trying to fax by choosing this as my printer.  I'm able to fax one page at a time but cannot fax a 3-page document.  Any suggestions?

Top Student
CurrentResident
Message 3 of 15 (2,170 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8600 fax from computer will not fax more than one page without canceling job

My problem came down to the way the software was sending the file to the printer. If the fax print job was five pages long the software was sending five one page print jobs which the HP could not deal with. The last multi-function machine I had was a Brother MFC-7860DW. For whatever reason sending the print file as separate one page jobs didn't bother it and since I still had the Brother I set it back up as sort of a back up fax machine and speciality printer. Now when I need to fax multiple pages out of that software package I send it to the Brother machine and use the HP for everything else.

Honor Student
amwhiteh
Message 4 of 15 (2,159 Views)

Thanks so much for the reply!   So you've never gotten the HP to fax correctly?

To HP: Would using a 3rd party application (Snappy Fax, WinFax) enable us to send a fax directly from the computer?  (Currently, we are just clicking print, then choosing the fax as the printer.)

Top Student
CurrentResident
Message 5 of 15 (2,158 Views)

I don't have any problem getting the HP to fax multiple pages if I'm using a mainstream program like Adobe, Word, Excel etc. It is just from this propriety software program that I have to use that I can't fax multiple pages. Unfortunately that is the program that I need to use the most for faxing directly from the PC. In faxing from other programs I just hit the print button and select the fax printer to send out the fax.

Tutor
Hugo1
Message 6 of 15 (2,121 Views)

My OfficeJet Pro 8500A Plus will also not fax from my PC, I either get thunk spooler apis from 32 to 64 errors or the fax gets cancelled automatically (spooling changes to cancelled under Status colum)

Tutor
ConfusedUser995
Message 7 of 15 (1,733 Views)

My HP 8600 Pro will not fax from my Windows 8 computer.  I choose print to Fax - HP OfficeJet Pro 8600  (Network). The fax window on the computer says that it is "spooling" and then "cancelled". Faxing directly from the printer using scan and fax works.  The printer says its firmware is up to date and I have installed all suggested HP software.  When I run a fax test from my computer, the printer prints a sheet that states it passed all tests.  Nonetheless, all attempts to fax from the computer result in "spooling" followed by "cancelled".  I've tried different length numbers for the fax recipient (7 digits, 10 digits, +1 and ten digits).  Still get "spooling" followed by "cancelled".  Any help?

Top Student
CurrentResident
Message 8 of 15 (1,726 Views)

Unfortunately I was never able to find a fix around the problem of cancelling the print to fax problem. I was generally not pleased with the fax capability of this machine. Large faxes (over 10 pages) would typically fail in the middle of the fax. I had trouble connecting with numerous other fax machines etc. Luckly I still had my Brother MFP in service and I never had any problems with either faxing from computer or standard faxes using that machine. The Brother MFP is a laser printer and besides being somewhat loud it is a little expensive to use at the volumes that I experience so my final solution to the problem was to pass that printer on to an employee that wasn't going to need the fax so much and I replaced it with an Epson WP-4540, not a perfect machine but still superior to the HP 8600 in several departments.

Tutor
ConfusedUser995
Message 9 of 15 (1,722 Views)

Thanks for your reply.  I remain hopeful that someone will respond to the issue that we both seem to have been having with the HP 8600 getting tangled up with the print spooler.

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 10 of 15 (1,632 Views)

Have you tried updating the firmware on the printer? 

If not, here is a link to the most recent firmware:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=bi-101905-4&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Try that and let me know if it helps to resolve your issue.

Best of luck,

Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation