Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The scanned documents are saved as very large pdf files, about 10 times bigger than when using an older scanner (exact same settings).

Worst still, switching the output from color to grayscale, or grayscale to b&w  increases the file size as opposed to decreasing it (everything else being equal). How is this possible?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

[I'm using a PC with Win7]

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

note that the file size increase is minor when switching scanning settings from color to B&W.  This obviously caught me off guard because I expected the reverse. Am I doing something wrong? Help would be appreciated...

HP Recommended

I have the same issue.  Research on internet shows that scan large pdf file size is normal for this and many other HP models for a couple of years now.  Decreasing resolution quality is not an acceptable option.  Even with decreased resolution the pdf file is still large compared to using 3rd party software based on comments in forum and Google search.  Having to purchase 3rd party software is not an acceptable solution.  HP should step up to the plate and update software to create reasonable scan pdf file size.  1 MB per page for 300dpi scanned document is unacceptable.  I wish I would have known this before I purchased the Pro 8600.  Except for the scan file size it seems to be a good AIO.  Scanning pdf is important to my business.  Time to look for another printer brand.

HP Recommended

Hello si72,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand when you scan a document, they save as very large files. I will do my best to assist you! I am here to offer some suggestions and try and resolve this issue. First, how is this printer connected? Wireless or USB?

If this printer is connected wireless, could you try scanning a document as PDF using a different connection type (USB)?

I would also recommend uninstalling the software by following this HP document on Uninstalling the Printer Software. Next, please perform a clean boot on your computer by following document here.

Once this is complete, please download the full feature software by using the Printer Install Wizard.

Please post your results, as I will be looking forward to hearing from you. Have a great night! Smiley Happy

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

I followed all the steps.   Tried USB and wireles.   Nice workout but the pdf scans are still very large.  Like I said earlier, this appears to be a common issue for many users.  Thanks anyway.

HP Recommended

I agree with you totally.  I bought the 8600 Pro in October 2012 and have been fighting the file size issue ever since.  I'm disgusted with HP.   I notice they never reply to posts about the issue either, at least, not with any real solution.  The latest firmware upgrade did not improve the problem either.  In fact, it made it worse, by taking away the 'scan as editable text' option, which DID provide much smaller file sizes (go figure).  I learned that trick from the prodoc people as a work around.

HP Recommended

I use the HP Scan and Capture program on Windows 10 over wireless, and mine are large as well.

However, with respect to scanning documents I have found a way to reduce them to about 1/4 of their original size.

I did a lot of scans over this setup, and what I found was this:

The "COMPRESSION" setting of High v Low doesn't make a bit of difference;  why give this as an option if it doesn't change the file size significantly???   Maybe this has to do with going over wireless, but I don't see why that would be.

So, then I experimented with COLOR v B&W.   Again, essentially no difference in file size.

So then I tried scanning color docs at a  RESOLUTION of 75 v 150 v 300.

The 75 reduced the quality so much that I would never use it.

However, 150 was nearly as good quality as 300, yet the size was 50% smaller (1.23MB v 2.54MB).    So, SCAN AT 150 RESOLUTION TO GET A 50% REDUCTION IN FILE SIZE

The way I reduced it by another 50%, thus dropping the file size to a 1/4 of what I was originally getting, is by then opening the PDF with Adobe Acrobat Reader and selecting Print, but then in the Print pulldown menu I selected "MICROSOFT PRINT TO PDF" --- which creates a new PDF file that looks essentially the same as the original, except that Microsoft's engine somehow reduced that file by another 50%.   The PDF file created by this Print was 693KB (about half the size of the 1.23MB of the 150 Resolution scan, and about   1/4 the size of what a scan at 300 would have been).

No idea why HP can't compress this it themselves, either on the printer, or on the PC via their program.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.