Question

Tutor
RJPS
Message 1 of 40 (13,563 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP PSC 2410 Photosmart fax and scan problem

I have an HP PSC 2410 Photosmart All in one that I can neither get to fax nor scan. I have deleted the software and re-loaded it at least 6 times using either the CD or online downloads to no avail. The HP Director does not show that they are in the system. I am using an HP Pavilion dv 5000 laptop for a computer. I never had problems for years and all of a sudden I realized that I could no longer fax.

When I push the scan button I get a message that "Scan options are not set. Install or run device software on computer."

As I stated above, I have done this to no avail.

I need help.

PhD Student
Super_Dave
Message 2 of 40 (13,554 Views)

Re: HP PSC 2410 Photosmart fax and scan problem

Which version of Windows are you using?

Is the printer attached by USB cable?

Do you get any type of error message when you were trying reinstall the software?

I was an HP employee.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Tutor
RJPS
Message 3 of 40 (13,548 Views)

I am using Windows XP

Yes, I am using a USB connection and can print OK from my computer

I did not get any error messages that I can remember

Thanks for your response

PhD Student
Super_Dave
Message 4 of 40 (13,537 Views)

The driver is failing to load completely.  I would expect there to be some kind of error message during the installation of the software.  Does the software appear to install with a normal ending, saying that the software has installed?

There is a software removal tool at
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-24061-2&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...=

Run that 4 times as it describes on that page and then try to reinstall the driver.  You would need to unplug the USB cable first before running the removal tool.

I was an HP employee.

Tutor
RJPS
Message 5 of 40 (13,525 Views)

Thanks Super Dave,

I will try it later this evening.

Tutor
RJPS
Message 6 of 40 (13,506 Views)

Dave,

I did as you suggested, downloading that program 4 times and re-loading my CD.

It came back saying that it was successfully installed. I also went through the fax set up info.

The printer works fine.

My scan now works but the fax does not.  I had someone fax something to me but it was not successful.

Also the HP Director will not open.

When I go to printers and faxes it shows the 2410 fax ( ready )and the 2410 printer (set as default )

I have spent over 48 hours messing with this thing and at least you got me this far.

Can you suggest anything for the fax and HP Director?

Thanks for your help so far.

**bleep**

PhD Student
Super_Dave
Message 7 of 40 (13,483 Views)

Ok, of the two remaining problems the fax is the most important.

Since the AiO failed to receive an incoming fax it means the fax problem has nothing to do with software so now we can concentrate on the fax setup.

Start with this document.  If targets not being able to receive a fax.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01663934&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=1153494&tmp...

I was an HP employee.

Tutor
RJPS
Message 8 of 40 (13,468 Views)

Dave,

You are a SAVIOR.

I finally figured out that Time Warner did not hook up the lines properly when I had my phone system changed to their service a while back.I have now used a splitter for the line from the modem to the phone jack and then a line to the printer and EVERYTHING WORKS GREAT.

I still have the problem wit the HP Director. I tried double clicking ot the symbol, pressing alt and space and then double clicking minimize. This brings it up but then when I close it I cannot reopen it by clicking on it.

Do you have a solution to that?

Rich

Tutor
RJPS
Message 9 of 40 (13,431 Views)

Super Dave,

I have now resolved all of my problems.

I used one of the methods on line to fix my HP Director and now everything works the way that it should.

I REALLY APPRECIATE your help in resolving these issues.  :smileyhappy:

Thanks again,

Rich

Honor Student
ArrowheadSP
Message 10 of 40 (13,093 Views)

My problem is similar to RJPS. I have the same printer but I was having loud noise issues as well as it stopped copying and scanning. I read about cleaning the glass, etc. and performed that task.  The "grinding" noise went away but I had uninstalled the software beforehand thinking it might be a software problem.  In trying to reinstall the software and getting the printer back on line, I have hit a brick wall and have been fighting with this problem for over a week.  I will add that I also have (make that HAD) two other printers installed on my computer as well.  An HP CP1700 and a Laserjet 3015.  I have removed and uninstalled both of those for the time being just to try to get this thing back on line.  My operating system is Windows XP and my computer is a Dell XPS 700 tower.  I have used the 4 step removal tool at least a dozen times.  I have scanned my registry getting rid of all broken links.  I have downloaded the most recent, complete software bundle and am not using the install CD which is 7 years old.  I can get the printer recognized by windows and can print to it, but I get the same message RJPS got about scanning.  When I try to install the software, it will click along just fine and then says it has detected a version of the software on my computer and needs to remove it.  It hangs at step 10/12, 75%, Digital STill Camera, in the cleanup process.  I cannot get past this.  I've removed all mention of the printer on my computer and it is disconnected from my computer.  This is the most frustrating situation I have encountered in many, many years.  Please help!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation