HP Photosmart 3310: Unable to scan, copy or send a fax (794 Views)
Honor Student
jojagard
Message 1 of 6 (794 Views)

HP Photosmart 3310: Unable to scan, copy or send a fax

Product: HP Photosmart 3310 All-In-One

Operating System: Windows XP Professional

Error message: Scanner Failure. Unable to scan, copy or send a fax.

Started seeing this message after removing and replacing the top of the device to fix a problem where the top was stuck in the raised position (happened after changing an ink cartridge). Unintentionally disconnected the data cables when doing this, however everything seems to be back in place now and the device prints from a computer without issue. Have tried resetting the device multiple times in different ways using advice found on other forums, but error message persists.

Professor
RobertoR
Message 2 of 6 (736 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 3310: Unable to scan, copy or send a fax

[ Edited ]

Hi there sorry that you are having this issue jojagard;

Hope you are doing well

Try this utility, HP Scan Diagnostic Utility : Helps resolve common scanning issues.   Get it here. 

www.hp.com/go/tools

Let me if this helps i will do my best to help if you need further assistance.

Best of luck;

RobertoR

:manlol: Remember ~▼

You can say THANKS by clicking the KUDOS STAR. If my suggestion resolves your issue Mark as a "SOLUTION" this way others can benefit Thanks in Advance! :smileyvery-happy:
Honor Student
jojagard
Message 3 of 6 (723 Views)

RobertoR: Tried running the HP Print and Scan Doctor (appears to have replaced the HP Scan Diagnostic Utility you referred to), however could not get past this error: "The Scan driver is unable to communicate with the product." This was true even after restarting the device and my computer as instructed by the utility.

I also decided to try running the HP Hardware Diagnostic Utility, but was told that the utility does not support my 3300 series device.

Thanks for trying.

Professor
RobertoR
Message 4 of 6 (709 Views)

No problem, I will always do my best

The next step I will take is to try to do some research and reach out to some folks, to see if they have suggestions that you can try if I find something worth sharing I will do come back and share it with you.

Best of luck;

RobertoR

You can say THANKS by clicking the KUDOS STAR. If my suggestion resolves your issue Mark as a "SOLUTION" this way others can benefit Thanks in Advance! :smileyvery-happy:
PhD Student
Binary_Zen
Message 5 of 6 (687 Views)

Hi jojagard,

If you are getting this message from the front panel of the printer then the one of the data cables might be loose or not in good contact. I have not disassembled this the scanner mechanism on this product so unfortunately I will not be able to provide specific instructions. What I would suggest is to double check the data cables again and make sure they are connected properly.

Binary_Zen (an HP employee)

Click the white Kudos star to say thanks
Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem
Honor Student
jojagard
Message 6 of 6 (684 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion, Binary_Zen. I may try checking the cables one more time to be sure, but as far as I can tell the cables are properly in place. I have actually already done this job twice (did it a second time when I first got the error). It is fairly challenging to get the cables properly inserted due to their close proximity to each other and being in a very tight place in the lid hinge area. I had to use tweezers to grab the cables as fingers were too large for the space.

Who knows, one of the cables may be damaged, however it is not obvious looking at them if that is the case.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation