Re: HP Photosmart C309a, Windows 7, 64 bit (128 Views)
Top Student
EChamp
Message 1 of 9 (146 Views)

HP Photosmart C309a, Windows 7, 64 bit

Used to copy well.  Now copy will sound like printing but get blank page.  Printing otherwise works fine.  Scanning works fine; just will not produce from copy.  Anyone with this problem before--have cleaned printhead using printer, taken printhead out and cleaned with water, reset printer, changed Color Management; nothing works with the copy feature.

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 2 of 9 (128 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C309a, Windows 7, 64 bit

Will it scan to the computer? Or is that blank, too? If scans and copies are blank, it could be that the scanner light is not working.

007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
Top Student
EChamp
Message 3 of 9 (121 Views)

The scanner works fine, the copier sounds like it is printing but get a blank page.  Have been scanning pages I wanted to copy and then printing them from scan, but don't want to keep having to do it this way.

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 4 of 9 (96 Views)

Okay so if you make a copy from the flatbed instead of the document feeder, does that also come out blank?

007OHMSS

Top Student
EChamp
Message 5 of 9 (93 Views)

Yes,  a copy from the flatbed will come out blank.

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 6 of 9 (83 Views)

Does it seem like the light is moving across the flatbed the same way when copying and scanning on the flatbed?

007OHMSS

Top Student
EChamp
Message 7 of 9 (80 Views)

Yes, the light comes on the same.

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 8 of 9 (69 Views)

Okay, there is something internally wrong with the copy system, not the scanning or printing section. Since you are able to scan to the computer (scanner lights the item and image is sent to the computer) and since you are able to print from the computer (image sent to the printhead/ink) which prints on paper; then the problem is in the transfer of the scanned image inside the printer to the printhead/ink system.

Offhand, I can think of two scenarios here.  First, there is something failed internally that is not resetting itself.

Or, second, the amount of power coming into the printer is not optimal, potentially causing the copy function to fail, since it uses both the scanning and printing which uses more power to run both items.

If it is a power issue, a couple of things can be done to check that. Try plugging the printer into a different power outlet in a different room. And if it is plugged into a power strip/surge supressor, try plugging directly into the wall socket. It is also possible that the power supply could be weak, but that would be hard to check, unless you have access to a known working power adapter.

007OHMSS

Top Student
EChamp
Message 9 of 9 (58 Views)

I just found out from a friend that the way I am getting my printer to print is to use "Color Management."  He tells me this by-passes the regular black print and prints using the photo print which is why my printing is taking so long.  This is why the copy does not work directly without printing.  Evidently, the printhead is messed up again.  I have washed it three times, have reset it and aligned it, have aligned it five times using up gobs of ink to no avail.  I took the black ink cartridge back to the store and got a new one.  Nothing helped.  This is not the first time the printhead has caused problems, but I was always able to get it to working with alignment, washing, or letting the cartridge sit overnight.  I guess I will have to purchase a new printer.  I was looking at the 8600 Officejet Premium and saw fairly good ratings on the HP website.  But I kept look and found two other websites that had much lower ratings, stating printhead, jam, and feeding problems.  This same seems to be true of the 8600 Officejet Pro, the 7600, and several others.  I have always used HP printers before and been satsified.  The C309a is the first one that has given me problems but only with the printhead.  I need to do some investigating of various printers, check with other users, and check Consumer Reports before I make a decision.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation