Question

Honor Student
Kelliecoo
Message 1 of 87 (13,250 Views)

HP Photosmart C410 document feeder says there is a jam everytime I use it (when the job is done)

Hi all, I am on my second HP c410 (black, premium photosmart printer with an ADF, web, eprint, etc). I returned the first one because everytime I used the document feeder to scan or fax, at the end of my job, I would get an error saying paper jam in the feeder, reload, and try again.

My second C410 is doing this as well. I called support and their conclusion was to either send it to them or exchange. Is this a well known problem? Is it worth it to try to exchange it for a third one, or can you think of anything that would cause this. Support had me take apart the paper puller, check every nook and cranny (this was with the first one) and then go through some documentation on my own. I am figuring if my second one also does this, other people have to be experiencing it as well and maybe found a work-around????

I really like this printer and do not want to choose a different model :smileysad: 

Tutor
ianmcw
Message 2 of 87 (13,195 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C410 document feeder says there is a jam everytime I use it (when the job is done)

I'm in the same situation. I've just received my second C410 printer with this fault in the document feeder (it continues to try to feed when all documents have been fed and eventually shows a feeder jam error). HP support asked me to try various resets without success, but I've located the problem.

Underneath the cover for the document feeder is a small plastic spring-loaded part which detects the presence of paper. On my machine, this gets stuck in the up (paper present) position when paper is fed and so the printer doesn't know when no paper remains in the feeder tray. I proved this to be the cause by gently forcing the paper detector down with a finger after the paper had fed. By doing this, the feeder works correctly. Looking at the affected part, this appears to be a design or manufacturing fault as the hinged paper detector rubs against the document feeder cover which causes it to become stuck.

I found this HP support page with a picture of the offending part on a similar model: http://bit.ly/cUh4dS (see the picture under the heading 'Solution three' near the bottom of the page).

Unfortunately, I've had to return both of these for a refund. It's a shame as otherwise it seems to be a well designed machine.

Honor Student
STJ_Projects
Message 3 of 87 (13,151 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C410 document feeder says there is a jam everytime I use it (when the job is done)

Hi-

Saw your post and was wondering if you discovered the answer?  We just purchased a new C410 for our office and are having the same problem!

Tutor
ianmcw
Message 4 of 87 (13,121 Views)

I explained above that I had found the cause of the problem, but I couldn't find a solution. The small plastic paper detector in the automatic feeder jams in the up position and I couldn't find an easy way to prevent this, so I had to return both of the printers I tried. I've a feeling this is going to be a common problem with this brand new design.

Honor Student
nean
Message 5 of 87 (13,072 Views)

I'm really sorry to read these posts because I just got a new 410 today and am getting the same error message "Document Feeder Jam" when I try to send a fax.  Would it do any good to call HP Tech Support?  I really think I'll like this printer but not the frustration of this error message each time I fax

Honor Student
Vrybsyldy
Message 6 of 87 (13,016 Views)

I purchased this same model and have the same ADF issue.  I also discovered, as one of the other posters did, that it was the paper sensor.

I believe the problem is that the spring is too wide and causes the sensor to bind and remain in the upright position.  I have compressed the spring sideways slightly with a knife and watched the sensor drop down as it should.

Has anyone tried either removing this spring, or making it smaller by cutting it shorter?

I really like this machine except for this one problem.  I want to find a solution, not return it and purchase a different model (which won't be HP if they can't solve this issue.)  So far my e-mailed request for support has gone un-answered.

Honor Student
Vrybsyldy
Message 7 of 87 (12,984 Views)

I have found a temporary solution to this problem.

I wedged a thick piece of plastic between the outer and middle plastic fins above the paper sensor.  It was about 1/4 of an inch thick and about 29/32 wide x 1/2 inch long.  Anything firm and just wide enough to spread the outer fin away from the paper sensor (compressing the spring so it is narrower by just a fraction) will do it.

The paper sensor and ADF are working perfectly for now.  I imagine vibration may dislodge this "fix" over time; but if it continues to work, I can always glue it in place.

Tutor
ianmcw
Message 8 of 87 (12,904 Views)

As I mentioned above, I had this problem with two of these printers. Both were returned for a refund. I really like the design and features though and so I thought I'd try one more. I'm happy to say that this one works absolutely fine and the paper detector in the automatic document feeder moves freely. I'd definitely recommend returning any faulty unit and trying another.

Master's Graduate
Miles
Message 9 of 87 (12,868 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone,

If you have a Photosmart C410a, and you're experiencing the ADF paper jam problem, then please reply {content removed}.

Miles
HP Employee
Honor Student
pudintain
Message 10 of 87 (12,758 Views)

Same problem....BRAND New just out of the box.......Paper Jam error

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation