Question

Student
ghghg
Message 1 of 8 (10,600 Views)

HP Photosmart C4480 does not scan to PC

Hi,

Our HP Photosmart C4480 does not scan to PC refuses to scan from the machine to our PC (Windows XP). The error message says: San error: try scan from computer or see documentation. I would gladly try to scan from the computer but nobody here seems to know how to set about this.

Thanks for every bit of help.

Student
amiemarie7
Message 2 of 8 (10,581 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C4480 does not scan to PC

this just happened to me today, and i saw your post so i figured id write now that it works.  i set the printer up, and everything worked perfectly except the scan to computer, and i had no way to scan from the computer.  also, i did not have the hp solution center(if you dont have that, then i would def assume not all downloaded when you started installation).  the same exact message came up.  i had to completely uninstall everything, then reinstall. 

the first time i installed everything, it didnt seemed to go very slow and not show the progress of each installed item. at the very beginning on installation, adobe upgrade telling me a new version is available popped up and i think i "x" it out instead of hitting "ok".

after uninstalling all, i made sure all my securities were off, then when the adobe box came up, i hit ok.  i saw at the bottom each item installed(for my printer there were nine), then it went on to configure.  even though it was already configured, it did it again.  then i registered.  the big thing was the hp solution center being there.  from what i read, you can directly scan from that.  so if you already have the solution center, you should be able to go there, start your scan(as that error message is telling you to do).  although that may be annoying after awhile that you cant just use the touchscreen.  once everything was done, scanning worked perfectly.   

Student
rosepete777
Message 3 of 8 (8,193 Views)

do i need to download a driver if so which one do you recommend?.

Student
Nesbo
Message 4 of 8 (7,531 Views)

Late in the day but this is an absolute nightmare.

I've tried (almost) everything three times over with zero success.

Oddly the scan to PC feature did work for a while, but when I got a new PC with Windows 7 it's never been the same again.

I can scan using my PC but in terms of the scan to PC Feature (button) on the AIO absolutely nothing.

The HP help/support is non-existent or what there is doesn't solve the problem.

Phoning their helpline will cost an arm and a leg which just adds insult to injury.

Although I'm no geek I'm not a complete beginner but I genuinely feel that HP have no idea how to solve the problem and nearly all forums have people like me tearing their hair out.

I have now given up and ordered a new AIO.

It's a shame because the 4480 when it worked was fit for purpose.

I really think issues like these will come back and haunt brands like HP because most leading manufacturers have me-too products and it's those who offer the best service who will win out.

People just want stuff that works - Can't be that hard, can it?

Student
louise1926
Message 5 of 8 (6,926 Views)

does not scan to pc   error message

Student
63elizabeth
Message 6 of 8 (5,081 Views)

It seems that the light bulb/lamp  in the photocoping/scanner isn't working.  Copier works perfectly when automated by computer.

Honor Student
kenny888
Message 7 of 8 (846 Views)

ghghg wrote:

Hi,

Our HP Photosmart C4480 does not scan to PC refuses to scan from the machine to our PC (Windows XP). The error message says: San error: try scan from computer or see documentation. I would gladly try to scan from the computer but nobody here seems to know how to set about this.

Thanks for every bit of help.

Honor Student
kenny888
Message 8 of 8 (844 Views)

I can,t scan to my pc i have a c4480 printer can any one help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation