Question

Honor Student
cjs_68
Message 1 of 4 (1,760 Views)

HP Photosmart C4780 Scan Problem

My HP Pavilion dv6 is connected to a HP Photosmart C4780 printer. Both are a year old and all features have worked well until a week ago when I tried to scan and got the following: "The scan cannot be performed because another program or computer is using the networked HP imaging device. Try again later." There's nothing else using the 4780 and I've uninstalled and reinstalled the program several times, all to no avail. The printer is connected via wireless, but using the USB cable doesn't work either, though the HP Solution Center notes that all looks OK. I can print to the 4780 and the copier works fine. I'm an older person with limited computer experience, but am using the scanner for family genealogical documents. I would really like to continue with my project, but can't until I resolve this scanning issue. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Top Student
mfisher
Message 2 of 4 (1,619 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C4780 Scan Problem

I have the same basic problem. I have a HP Pavilon dv6 notebook running Windows 7 Professional with a C4780 All-in-One device. I purchase the notebook and C4780 in Nov 2009. I use the scanner with Adobe Standard 9 and Quicken Deluxe 2010. Up until about a month ago the scanner worked. Now, I can print, but it is as if the scanner does not exist. I uninstalled the device and let Windows find and reinstall it - no joy. I uninstalled the device, downloaded/ran the installation software from HP - no joy. I tried this with a wireless connection and a USB connection - no joy. I tried the diagnostic utilities without success. The utilities cannot find the C4780 on their own. When I tell the utility to run for the C4780, it tells me that a scanner is not hooked up to the system. I accept 'update available' messages from Microsoft Windows, McAfee, HP, and iTunes. I speculate that something changed somewhere in the system's settings to cause this sudden change. Maybe an update caused it, but I have no idea why that that would be. I have been accepting updates for over a year without problem. Any ideas on how to fix this are appreciated.

Honor Student
cjs_68
Message 3 of 4 (1,592 Views)

mfisher-- As with you, my Photosmart C4780 functioned fine until one night I turned it on and it performed normally except the scan feature did not work. I must have tried for four or five hours over the next several nights to get it to scan wirelessly, all to no avail. As I have many family letters from over a hundred years ago I want to digitize, my wife and I decided the 4780 had broken, and we purchased a HP Officejet Pro 8500 Premier printer. I was delayed in setting the new unit up as it came without printheads, but when I had it ready, it did the exact same thing as the C4780 (message: "The scan cannot be performed because another program or computer is using the networked HP imaging device. Try again later"). Of course, nothing else was on except my Pavillion dv6t and the 8500. In that the dv6t and 8500 were both under warranty, I called HP for technical assistance. Thirteen-plus hours on the phone and thirty days later, on HP's auhorization, I sent my dv6t back for "repairs." The tech reps had said there was nothing wrong with the 8500 (and by extension, the C4780?), and others said my notebook was working correctly. I even called Norton who claimed their product on my dv6t was working properly. It will be interesting to see what the HP repair people in Tennessee say. A couple of observations: I put the 8500 software on my wife's dv6t and it scanned via wireless perfectly to the 8500. I can scan to my C4780 via USB on my dv6t with no trouble. Also, my wife's dv6t does not have Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Internet Explorer 9 and Norton Internet Security 2011. Mine does--any bearing on the scan problem? And too, my MediaSmart Webcam has stopped working. Perhaps this also is part of the problem. I'm 70 years old without much computer experience, and while I have learned diagnostic and repair techniques trying to solve the scanning issue, I really want to get to work on my project, using my HP "tools" for which I've expended a fair amount of money. While my computer/printer symptoms don't exactly coincide with yours, I hope my experience will shed some light on the course you need to follow. If you can, try installing the 4780 software on another computer and see if that makes it work. Good luck!   -JS

Top Student
mfisher
Message 4 of 4 (1,568 Views)

cjs_ 68: I managed to fix my problem. I am not sure how, but this is what I did. After lots of reading and lots of trying different fixes, several things dawned on me. Multiple HP programs can make the C4780 print/scan/fax, the HP Solution Center program did not work, and every HP diagnostic I downloaded and ran failed to return a result. I have never used the solution center or a diagnostic before so I would not notice that they did not work. Maybe something was wrong with one of these HP programs that was screwing them all up. So I removed every HP program on the computer. Apparently you do not need them. Anything they do can be done by other software. I also did a disc cleanup and removed everything identified as unnecessary. Then I downloaded and reinstalled the C4780 installation software. So far so go. The C4780 is printing/scanning just fine. Reinstalling the C4780 software also reinstalled the other HP programs so I remove them again. In the future I will also no longer automatically click YES when the HP Updates Available message asks me if I want to install the updates. I cannot prove it, but I suspect that something about the interaction between the HP programs was behind the problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation