HP Photosmart C8180 (182 Views)
Top Student
emarsh
Message 1 of 14 (182 Views)

HP Photosmart C8180

I have an HP Photosmart C8180 All-in-One.  My Computer is also HP, running Vista 64 bit.  When the printer was first installed (wireless) the Solution Center was available and easy to use.  It has disappeared.  I have used search to locate it, uninstalled the support software and reinstalled.  The only way I can scan is through Picasa import.  Where is the Solution Center and the twain function?  What has happened to it?  All other functions of the printer work well.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 2 of 14 (180 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C8180

Hi emarch,

Uninstall the printer, and then download the full feature software and drivers from the link below. Once the download is finished double click on the downloaded file to reinstall the printer.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-52268-5&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Top Student
emarsh
Message 3 of 14 (174 Views)

pcwizard - I have done this a couple of times.  For some reason I do not see and cannot find the Solution Center window any more - the twain option does, however, appear on the Picasa Import list.  It works that way for a while and then disappears.  This method of twaining is not as nice as the original Solution Center.  Thanks for your suggestion.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 4 of 14 (172 Views)

HI emarsh,

Try using the scrubber built into the CD or Download.

From Original installation CD:

1. Insert CD into drive, and then cancel the installer

2. Open My Computer, and then right click on the CD drive and chose open

3. Open folder Util

4. Open folder CCC

5. If you have an HP computer run the L3uninstall.exe. If you have a non-HP computer run the L4uninstall.exe

6. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

7. Once the computer is restarted go to link to download the full feature software and drivers.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-52268-5&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

If software was downloaded and extracted to your system:

1. Type %temp% in the run field

2. Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)

3. Open folder Util

4. Open folder CCC

5. If you have an HP computer run the L3uninstall.exe. If you have a non-HP computer run the L4uninstall.exe

6. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

7. Once the computer is restarted go to link to download the full feature software and drivers.

I am an HP employee.

Top Student
emarsh
Message 5 of 14 (159 Views)

pcwizard -  Thank you for your help.  I followed the instructions exactly.  The only difference in the reinstall process this time, is that it automatically found the computer (something it had not been doing when I reinstalled before).  I still do not have the HP Solution Center Icon on the desktop and cannot find evidence of the solution center using Windows Explorer or search.  Is it located somewhere and I just need to create a shortcut???  Where has it gone to?  Again thanks for your efforts in helping me.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 6 of 14 (157 Views)

Hi emarsh,

Follow the instructions below to see if you have the following file Hpqdirec.exe

1. Open My computer

2. Open Program Files (x86) folder

3. Open HP folder

4. Open Digital Imaging folder

5 Open Bin folder

6. Look for Hpqdirec.exe, and then double click on the file to open solution center

Let me know if you locate the file and can open it?

I am an HP employee.

Top Student
emarsh
Message 7 of 14 (149 Views)

pcwizard - that may be the problem - I do not have that file.  I opened each file you said, the list goes from hpqddsvc.dll to hpqdlg08.rsc.  I only see two exe files - they are exe.manifest.  I also searched for Hpqdirec.exe and came up empty.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 8 of 14 (147 Views)

Hi emarsh,

At this point i need you to install the software on a different computer to see if you get Solution Center. It sounds like you may have gotten hit with a virus on your computer, which is causing the software not to install completely. Click the link below and select the operating system the new computer is using. Let me know what you find out?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=3204788&task=&

I am an HP employee.

Top Student
emarsh
Message 9 of 14 (140 Views)

pcwizard - so funny, I guess I have done a few things correct to problem solve!  I have already tried that on my laptop.  Yes, it comes up there and works fine.  I have pretty good virus protection, but I know you can't protect eveything all of the time, so you may be right.  Is there a fix???  Thanks for sticking with me, I really appreciate your efforts.  emarsh

Provost
pcwizard
Message 10 of 14 (138 Views)

Hi emarsh,

The only real way to make sure you have rid the computer of any problems. You would need to backup all your data, and then run the full system restore, which will put the computer back to the way it was when you bought it. I wish i had some other options to try, but we tried to scrub the software which would have deleted all HP software, and when you reinstalled it would have been a clean full install. Let me know what you think?

I am an HP employee.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation