Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Just bought the HP Photosmart D110 yesterday and cannot scan.  I'm on a Mac (OS 10.6.4) and every time I try to scan something, I get the following message: 

The scan cannot be performed because another program has control of the HP imaging device.  Try the following steps.  After each step, try scanning again.
- Restart the program.
- Close all programs that may be using the device.
- Reboot the computer.

I've tried all of these things, but nothing has worked.  Also, I have a animated icon of a spinning wheel that I cannot remove. When I click on it, it says "Stop 'Open in Preview'" but nothing happens.  When I opened the HP Scan app, I noticed that it cannot locate the device.  It is very strange because it is working as a printer, so the communication is there.  Also strange, when I go to System Preferences, to Print & Fax, it's listed there as the scanner.  Where's the disconnect?  What can I do?  This is making me nuts.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi all,

It sounds like you have either a conflict between old and new HP software, or a corrupted installation of the Hp software.

We can fix this pretty easily.

First, go here  and download the latest HP Software to your desktop.

Next we are going to run the scrubber to remove all teh HP Software that has been installed.

To run the scrubber,

Go to Library/Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller

Click on Continue

Highlight your device on the left pane

Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Apple keys and click on Uninstall

There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software.  (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled, which is why we don't run this thing all the time)

Click Continue

Let the scrubber complete.

Next run the HP Software you just downloaded and follow all the way through the Setup process

the OS may search for updates and such. If it asks you if you want to download them, accept.

That should take care of it.

View solution in original post

72 REPLIES 72
HP Recommended

Also, when I tried to scan by importing from the scanner while in Preview, I received the message that it failed to open a session on the device.  What does that mean?

HP Recommended

Did you ever find a solution to this? I am having the same exact problem.

HP Recommended

i had the same issue. resolved it by uninstalling all software using the uninstaller app. then reinstalled using the downloaded hp software installer for the D110 from the HP website. hope that works for you.

HP Recommended

Hi all,

It sounds like you have either a conflict between old and new HP software, or a corrupted installation of the Hp software.

We can fix this pretty easily.

First, go here  and download the latest HP Software to your desktop.

Next we are going to run the scrubber to remove all teh HP Software that has been installed.

To run the scrubber,

Go to Library/Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller

Click on Continue

Highlight your device on the left pane

Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Apple keys and click on Uninstall

There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software.  (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled, which is why we don't run this thing all the time)

Click Continue

Let the scrubber complete.

Next run the HP Software you just downloaded and follow all the way through the Setup process

the OS may search for updates and such. If it asks you if you want to download them, accept.

That should take care of it.

HP Recommended

my printer was hooked up with a PC that died recently. Now , My printer is hooked up with Mac and the printer is printing but not scanning. It is not telling me why.

HP Recommended

I don't  know what tags you are talking about. I am not verygood at computers.Please help.

HP Recommended

Did you do the steps I posted above? 

HP Recommended

Hey MBJustice,

I followed all of the directions that you shared (downloading, scrubbing, reinstalling) and when I try to scan I continue to get the same error:

"The scan cannot be performed because another program has control of the HP imaging device.  Try the following steps.  After each step, try scanning again.
- Restart the program.
- Close all programs that may be using the device.
- Reboot the computer."
I am able to scan by opening the scanner through my system preferences, but nothing else works.  I've run Software Update which installed the latest HP updates, but still nothing.  Honestly it's a bit frustrating.
Is there any way to make it work?

HP Recommended

That is odd.  It sounds like part of the HP Scan isn't unloading.  What OS are you using?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.