Question

Honor Student
johncrashmcd
Message 1 of 6 (2,605 Views)

HP Photosmart Plus B209 - Scanning to PDF

I have been able in the past to scan from my computer using HP Solution Center to pdf files.  I also had the HP Solution center icon on my desktop, it worked great.  It allowed me to scan to pdf and make multipage pdf scan files.  Yesterday i tried to open the solution center and it gave me an error message saying something about not being properly installed.  I tried just downloading the driver again, that didn't work.  Then I deleted the original program and drivers and started from scratch.  The printer works fine, but now I don't have the Solution Center Icon, or the program listed in my Windows list.

Going back to the HP website it tells me if I don't have the Solution Center Icon to use Windows Fax and Scan (yuk).  This program only allows you to scan to jpg, bmp, and tiff.  Is this 2011 or are we going back to 2000 technology?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 6 (2,598 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart Plus B209 - Scanning to PDF

Hi John,

If you had the Solution Center as part of the Full Feature Software for your printer, you should be able to regain that functionality.  It may take some haggling with the software, but it should be recoverable.

Installing "just the driver again" won't work.  The Solution Center is integrated into the Full Feature Software for your printer.  When you say "started from scratch", did you attempt to reload / install the Full Feature software?

Here are a couple of things to try; the first of wich is primarily a "how-to" that sheds light on how the Solution Center works and some pointers on how to get it back.  The second method is the HP Printer Wizard installer - it will attempt to take care of the issue and (re)install your printer software.  It may work or may not, depending on whether the original issue is still lurking inside your computer (dirty registry?  half-installed bits floating about)...  It's a place to start, at least, and may solve the problem.

NOTE:  If you are looking to install only the BASIC drivers for your printer, do not use the solutions outlined below.  The Full Feature software, where available, enhances the printing experience and provides extra capablitities - it is not necessary.  One only needs the basic drivers to operate the printer's basic functions.

Size Notice:  The Full Feature software packages can run in size from around 24MB to a monsterous 300MB.  If you have a slow internet connection, plan accordingly.

HP Solution Center is the main software program that you use to control and maintain your All-in-One printer.  It is not downloadable as a separate entity - it is part of the Full Feature Software for your printer.  This is the "How to" ...  (This is "How To" primarily information, it does indicate how to proceed.)

Get HP Solution Center

The above "Solution Center" would be downloaded as part of your printer's Full Feature Software... the Printer Wizard (below) is the software package that takes care of that...

Try sneaking up on the software with this HP Printer Wizard

The Wizard searches for, downloads, and tries to install the software for your printer for you.

I hope this helps - post back your results.

Say “Thanks” for the Help!  Click the Kudos Star whenever you find a Post that helps you.

Fixed?  Mark this Post “Accepted Solution” to say the solution worked for you.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
johncrashmcd
Message 3 of 6 (2,592 Views)

Thank you for the tips, the printer wizard did help get back the Solutions Center.  That has now returned to my desktop, however I am getting the same error as before.  I did a network printer install and it does recognize the printer on the network and connects ok.  I can print through the wireless network, but still cannot use the scan function through solution center. I am trying to do a hard wired connection from printer to computer to see if that works.

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 4 of 6 (2,589 Views)

Hmm, half-way there...

I can't imagine that it's true, but maybe the scan function is "stuck" because of a transient error in the printer side.  You could try turning off the printer and unplugging it for at least a minute, then reconnecting it.

You could try cleaning the registry.  It's possible that there are 'bits' stuck in the registry that are left over from the previous install / removal.. Select to download the "free" version.
Piriform.com CCleaner

NOTE: If you use the "application" cleaner (separate section from the registry cleaner section), be sure to check / UNcheck the applications carefully.  CCleaner is not evil, but it's defaulted to remove some things you might want to keep:  pdf readers, Paint...

You could also try a Hard Reset in case the 'bits' are lurking in the dark corners.

Hard Reset:

• Disconnect all external devices first.
  • Remove AC power and the battery
  • Press and hold power button for at least 20 seconds (Dragon-fur says, "... I like 60 seconds.")
  • Reinstall only AC power for first startup.
  • Power on - Log in
  • Test the sound
  • Next time you shut down the system, put the battery back in.

You can ignore the bit about leaving the battery out; if you like - just put the battery

Say “Thanks” for the Help!  Click the Kudos Star whenever you find a Post that helps you.

Fixed?  Mark this Post “Accepted Solution” to say the solution worked for you.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Student
Firemanjack
Message 5 of 6 (740 Views)

How do I scan from HPB209 to Mac for PDF

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 6 of 6 (688 Views)

Hi Firemanjack,

When you scan from the HP software (HP Scan), you have the option to change the file format when you are saving the file.

To Scan from HP Scan, ensure the software is installed, open Applications > HP folder > HP Scan.

If you do not have the software installed. please Click here, choose your operating system and download your software. Once the download is complete, continue with the installation.

I hope this helps.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up", just below, if you LIKE my post, or to say Thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation