Question

Student
kburke
Message 1 of 34 (21,172 Views)

HP Photosmart Plus eAll-In-One B210a - scan issue

I have a Dell laptop and run Windows XP Professional, v2.2, service pack 3.  I purchased the above printer and installed it both with the CD and then I tried the online driver.

The scan function will not work.  I have tried all suggested fixes to no avail.  The error message I get when I click scan a document or photo is, "The HP Photosmart Plus B210 series was not found" and when I click on activate scan to computer, I get, "Scan to computer is not activated.  Communication cannot be established with the printer.  Please ensure that the printer is powered on and connected to the computer and try again."

I've tried a new cable as well.  The print and copy functions work fine.  I've tried scanning from the printer itself as well and it also tells me to make sure the printer is installed properly and the start the scan job with computer.

Any suggestions?

Student
tarz
Message 2 of 34 (21,145 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart Plus eAll-In-One B210a - scan issue

I'm having exactly the same issue and its quite frustrating. It was a christmas present :smileyhappy: I can print and so, but the scan is not working. Im having the same error as you.

please help us, fast :smileyhappy:

Student
thjh
Message 3 of 34 (21,068 Views)

Hi: Not that I am happy you are having problems but I am happy I am not the only one. We went out and bought a new printer with scan features just for the scan. We can get all other features to work but not the scan feature. No help from HP. Can somebody please help me?

Student
Jaynj856
Message 4 of 34 (21,044 Views)

I can not get the scanner to be recognized wirelessly. Prints wireless ok, scans ok using USB cable, but can't get the scanner to activate wirelessly. Anyone have this problem or have a fix?

kburke wrote:

I have a Dell laptop and run Windows XP Professional, v2.2, service pack 3.  I purchased the above printer and installed it both with the CD and then I tried the online driver.

The scan function will not work.  I have tried all suggested fixes to no avail.  The error message I get when I click scan a document or photo is, "The HP Photosmart Plus B210 series was not found" and when I click on activate scan to computer, I get, "Scan to computer is not activated.  Communication cannot be established with the printer.  Please ensure that the printer is powered on and connected to the computer and try again."

I've tried a new cable as well.  The print and copy functions work fine.  I've tried scanning from the printer itself as well and it also tells me to make sure the printer is installed properly and the start the scan job with computer.

Any suggestions?

Student
margclarke
Message 5 of 34 (20,993 Views)

I bought a new HP officejet 4500 Desktop printer all in one. I have it installed on my computer but it wont scan. It prints and copies fine .

Honor Student
ThomasJonApple
Message 6 of 34 (20,780 Views)

I came here looking for answers because my 210a won't scan photos. It'll scan documents (after some trial and error) but photos it scans and then only returns a small portion of the document fully blown up.

What i was wondering was:

Does scanning through the webinterface work for you guys? For me it does. 

That is: it is a workaround, not a solution. 

It is a good indication that the scanner CAN scan stuff.. .it just goes wrong somewhere between the software and the machine which HP should fix with a software update.

I work on a Mac so I'm not sure what this will look like for you guys on windows but for me it goes like this:

I get to the webinterface by going to:

1. HP Utility

2. All settings

3. Additional Settings

4. Open Embedded webserver

When that manages to load (again trial and error)

There is a scanning Tab. There I can configure some one time scanning settings and start a Webscan.

Can you guys try this and see if this works for you (too) ?

Student
oldduck24
Message 7 of 34 (19,858 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart Plus all-In-One B210a - scan issue

I had the same problem after I had it working for a couple of months. I registered the printer again and bam it worked.

kburke wrote:

Any suggestions?

Student
Hebb
Message 8 of 34 (19,557 Views)

When I try to scan to e-mail or PC  i get a message  "scanner not activated" What are the steps to activating the scanner ?

Student
VDIdave
Message 9 of 34 (19,439 Views)

I have also had similar issues setting up the printer on WiFi and then scanning. I tried MANY different suggestions and software reloads. It got to the point that the software would not successfully uninstall from Control Panel. What fixed mine was downloading and running the HP Scan Diagnostic  Utility ( HPSDU) from the Customer Care site.

It failed on the 3rd step for WIA and gave me the option to remove the software. This worked, so I reinstalled cleanly and when it came back up I made sure I registered the printer.

Don't bypass the registration step, I saw it on another post, so tried it. Can't be 100% sure that helped, but everything works now, without any changes to the firewall.

Student
yardles
Message 10 of 34 (15,438 Views)

Hi,

Can't scan from printer or from computer.  Troubleshooter says to ensure you have 'activated the scanner to your printer' yet when I try and do this it stops at 4% and says that it is not activated and that communication could not be established with the printer.  I can e-print, and wireless print so some communication must be going on.

Can someone please help?

Cheers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation