Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

After running print and scan dr version 4.9 and letting it update to the newest version 5.x it fails to run.   The event log shows the following 2 errors

Has anyone seen this issue or have an idea how to correct it?  If I go back and run version 4.9 and do not let it update is seems OK.

Thanks for any ideas!

Application: HPDiagnosticCoreUI.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@watson4664

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an when you try to update the HP Print and Scan Doctor from v4.9 to v5, the update fails. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

Before I assist you, I'd like to know if everything is working fine with your printer otherwise.

I would like to inform you that HP has released an update that should fix the update issue to v5.0. Please download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor via this link: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/HPPSdr.exe

Hope this helps. Please let me know. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

To first answer response question the printer works with no issues or problems but the upgrade to Print and Scan Dr still fails as well as the install from the link provided.  I tried the install from the downloaded file and like the previous attempts when the install starts it just quits and leaves the following error messages in the system log.  This does not happen with version 4.9 if I ignore the update prompt.

I then tried re-installing the software drivers etc using the Full Features Software OJ8620_198.exe  downloaded from the HP website.  This completed with no problems and the printer had no problems.  Followed this up with the HP Printe and Scan DR downloaded from the link you provided but again Version 5.0 seems to fail.  I do not have this problem with Version 4.9

First reported Error:

Exception Info: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(System.RuntimeType, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean ByRef, System.RuntimeMethodHandleInternal ByRef, Boolean ByRef)

at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, System.Threading.StackCrawlMark ByRef)

at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceDefaultCtor(Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, System.Threading.StackCrawlMark ByRef)

at System.Activator.CreateInstance(System.Type, Boolean)

at System.Activator.CreateInstance(System.Type)

at HPDiagnosticCoreUI.Model.StartupCheckManager.GetFirewallManager()

at HPDiagnosticCoreUI.Model.StartupCheckManager.IsFireWallEnabled()

at HPDiagnosticCoreUI.Model.StartupCheckManager.AuthorizeApplication(System.String, System.String)

at HPDiagnosticCoreUI.Model.StartupCheckManager.PerformStartupCheck()

at HPDiagnosticCoreUI.App..ctor()

at HPDiagnosticCoreUI.App.Main()

Second Reported error:

Faulting application name: HPDiagnosticCoreUI.exe, version: 5.0.0.69, time stamp: 0x58920412

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.14393.479, time stamp: 0x58256d37

Exception code: 0xe0434352

Fault offset: 0x000da832

Faulting process id: 0x728

Faulting application start time: 0x01d2815cfa0c97c9

Faulting application path: C:\Users\LEEWAT~1\AppData\Local\Temp\7zS3052\HPDiagnosticCoreUI.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: a198131e-5769-4a98-a2f8-94ac31529991

Faulting package full name:

Tnaks for your support and please let me know what else I might try.

HP Recommended

@watson4664

You're welcome. I appreciate you taking your valuable time to troubleshoot. 🙂

I suggest you to uninstall only the HP Print and Scan Doctor. Please go to Control panel>> Programs and Features to uninstall:

Image of Uninstall/Change selection

Hope this helps. Let me know. 🙂

HP Recommended

This was one of the first things I thought about but strangely the HP Print and Scan Doctor seems to be run directly from a executable file and not installed as an applicaiton.  I have version 4.9 running on my desktop at this time but as you can see the add/remove programs do not show it installed as an applicaiton.

I can't see what you highlighted in your reply as it is blurred but at one time I did remove all of the HP items below and re-installed them from the HP website for my printer model Office Jet Pro 8625 using the full feature software installer.

HP PSD Add Rem Programs.jpg

HP Recommended

@watson4664

Thanks for replying. 🙂

The image I posted was just an example of the Programs and Features window. 

I suggest you to look for the PSDR.exe file and delete it from your computer. If the PSDR.exe is not available in Programs and Features window then you could search for it using the Windows search option. 

Keep me posted. Cheers!

HP Recommended

The HPPDSr.exe file is in the directory Program Files (x86)/HP/Diagnostics folder.  Removing the folder was one of the first things that I did.  So here is some additional information.

Both version 4.9 and 5.0 create the PSDR folder and appropriate files, HPPSDr.exe and PSdr.ico

When I run version 4.9 it detects an later version and prompts to install it.  If I let it update then it fails during the install with the log entries I provided earlier.  If I skip the update then the install completes and Print and Scan dr. works as expected.

If I then remove the PSDR folder and then run the version 5.0 executable the install again fails although it does create the PSDR folder with the same file names.  The failure is again the same that I provided in the log files.

Since version 5 was just released it would seem logical that there might be some issues.

Bottom line since version 4.9 installs and runs OK on my desktop I would not expect version 5 to fail because of something in my system but who knows?

I am glad to try any other solutions but it seems this needs to be kicked up to a support team.

Exception Info: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException .....

HP Recommended

@watson4664

Thank you for your patience. 🙂

I did try using the same link v5.0 on my computer. It worked for me. But I had to make some changes. If it opens another window or a popup before the below screen then close that window or popup. Come to this below screen and click on the Start button.

Hope this helps. Let me know what happens. 🙂

HP Recommended

Does not happen in my system.  Immediately after extracting the file the setup window disappears completely.  I think this is shown in the log files where it indicates the process was terminated due to unhandeled exceptions.

This could be due to somenthing on my computer but does not explaine why this only happens with the new version 5.0.  Something has changed between version 4.9 and 5.0 that is causing the issue.   Is there any way to setup a log file to capture the install sequence?  It would have to be a HP sourced application.  Not sure what HP has to isolate this type of issue.  I will try turing off my anti-virus software and see what happens but don't expect it will have any impact since 4.9 works.

HP Recommended

Disabling anti virus did not help.  5.0 still failed.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.