Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Scanjet HP 6200c/6250c/HP6270A
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi Folks,

First post on this forum - so please be gentle.

I have a HP Scanjet 6250c scanner (the label on the rear actually says 'HP6270A') and I used to use it under Windows XP.  The software didn't like Vista and HP didn't issue a driver for Vista - so it has sat on my desk for the last n years, simply taking up space.

I suddenly had the idea to use Windows 7's Program Compatability to install the old XP software - only I can't find the drivers/software disk.

Went to the HP Support website but the only thing it could come up with was an a6270 Desktop or telling me that the hardware was no longer supported by HP.

I'm surprised that that seems to mean that even legacy hardware has the drivers removed from the servers!

Any help with the drivers for this scanner and/or the Precision Scan Pro software greatly appreciated.

Zaph

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The guys behind VueScan came through and i can now use my Scanjet 6200c.

HP - useless!

Zaph

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Officially the scanner is not supported on windows 7 as listed below:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03403550

As the product is too old and retired, any support or drivers no longer offered by HP online as described below:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/retired-products

You may try the 3rd party VueScan application, from its description it seems to me as it supports your scanner with no need of any drivers installed:

http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/hp_scanjet_6200c.html

Regards,

shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi shlomi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried VueScan as it lists the 6200c as compatible - however, I have only managed to succesfully scan a document twice using that software - and that is if I have both scanner and PC off first, then turn the scanner on and then the PC before launching the VueScan software.

However, the VueScan software won't allow me to scan one document, save it and then scan another document without turning both off first and turning them back on again as I have described above.  I can't even leave the scanner on and simply re-start the PC as that doesn't work either.

I have spent over 4hrs troubleshooting the software and PC/scanner interface and am no closer to a solution than I was when I started this afternoon.

I find it morally reprehensible that HP do not have the software available on their support site - even as a legacy device.  The scanner is in full-working order (as the two succesful scans using VueScan demonstrate) but the manufacturer of the device simply hides behind the statement that it is no longer supported.  I know it is many,many years out or warranty but to not even allow users to download the original XP-era software is beyond belief. 

This scanner cost around £350 (approx US $495) when new and to have to send it to landfil because HP have deigned to write it off is beyond the pale as far as I am concerned.

I thought I was saved when I looked at a backup of the hard drive from those days because I had downloaded the software from HP then (never having had to use it as I had the original install disks) - but when I tried to run the install files this afternoon I get two error messages - specifically that HPSJ32.dll and REG32.dll are missing - and the instalation aborts.

I used to be a fan of HP (ever since using their HP67 and HP-41C calculators in the 1970's) - but sadly no more!

Shame on you HP, shame!

Zaph

HP Recommended

The guys behind VueScan came through and i can now use my Scanjet 6200c.

HP - useless!

Zaph

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.