HP Solution Center launches installer on startup (36051 Views)
Top Student
NozmoKing
Message 1 of 9 (36,051 Views)

HP Solution Center launches installer on startup

I have an HP 5590 scanner with the "Solution Center" software package. After a couple of years of operation on the same Windows XP workstation the software suddenly started launching the Windows Installer upon launch and asking for the install package "SolutionCenter.msi" in a temporary location that of course no longer exists. I did a search and the msi file is nowhere to be found anywhere on the local hard drive.

I completely removed the software and drivers then reinstalled the drivers and software programs using the latest package from the HP site. This worked for about two weeks and now it is suddenly going through the same routine of asking for the installer again every time I try and run the Solution Center. After closing and/or ignoring several annoying dialog boxes the software seems to run but it has to be forced closed through Task Manager and frequently hoses Windows Explorer when I force the installer to close. I have no clue why this is happening and cannot find much of anything realtive on the web about the problem. Does anyone know how to fix this short of throwing the scanner in the trash and finding one that comes with software that doesn't self-destrruct?

Thanks

Honor Student
GPaDavis
Message 2 of 9 (35,951 Views)

Re: HP Solution Center launches installer on startup

Sorry, no solution for your problem, just want to comment that I have experienced same symptoms only I only have the G3110 Scanner on my HP laptop computer. If memory serves, last time this happened, I deleted the HP Solutions Center and reinstalled from the disk. All was well. Recently, updted Flash

Now I was getting the error, asking form the MSI file. Directed it to a copy of this file I have, now it can't find a *.cab file but doesn't let me direct the installer to that .cab file!?? Continually tapping the cancel button over and over eventually brings up the Solutions Center, followed by another request for the .cab file. Cancel it again and the Solutions Center then work.

While conducting several scannning tests, this same error pops up, I follow by cancelling it and eventually it goes away - all the while the scans have been performing sucessfullly. In otherwords the attempts to reinstall are becoming to be a very aggravating pest, to say the least.

Have other priorities at the moment so will have to set this problem aside for moment. But, still hope someone will come up with a permanent fix for this thing.

BTW, as far as I can tell, I have all the "updates" for this set installed, using version 11 o Solutions Center.

System: Win XP SP2, HP 9002US 17 in. laptop, puchased sometime in Jan 2007 (I think).

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 3 of 9 (35,976 Views)

There are MANY threads with the same issue and a resolution for it also. I suggest you use the search function in the forum and search for it before posting a new one.

To save you the trouble, I'll provide the document for you. Copy the address below and paste it in your address bar and visit the page.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01631295&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN 

----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
GPaDavis
Message 4 of 9 (35,926 Views)

Dexter M,

You were certainly correct. There are many solutions for this symptom. Unfortunately, I have tried them, unsuccessfully, before. However, on your recommendation, I tried again. Same-0, same-0. None worked.

As before, I was only successful after I uninstalled the entire program and reinstalled and it, is it now up and running properly normally or so my initial tests show. It remains to be seen, however, if this symptom revisits again. This is the third time I have gone thru this exercise. Once, by myself, with total failure, second with the help of HP Tech support (successful) and now this time.

Incidentally, I found it much easier to copy the entire contents of the installation CD disk to a separate HD partition and use that for these kinds of operations -- a little faster than CD disk.

With all due respect, I believe HP has some great hardware; been using 'em for years. But this piece of software leaves much, much to be desired for those of us not quite so "I.T." inclined!

All the best,

Bob

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 5 of 9 (35,919 Views)

It's strange, because the steps in that document has resolve the issues MANY times for me. Additionally, I would right click on the solutioncenter.msi file and click on Repair, and that would fix the issue also. Uninstalling and reinstalling the software should resolve the issue, and if that does not, then at least the MS Installer Cleanup Utility does the job. if ALL of these has been tried, then i really have no other steps to resolve the issue.

As a last resort, you can download the full feature software for the Photosmart C6380 and install only the Solution Center from it by doing a custom installation. This will update SC to the latest version 12, and that may resolve the issue.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Top Student
NozmoKing
Message 6 of 9 (35,887 Views)

Dexter,

Thanks for the info - I saw the post you mentioned earlier and none of the reported fixes worked for this particular issue. Sometimes a complete r&r works, sometimes it doesn't. There is no "SolutionCenter.msi" on the installation CD (unless it is buried in a .cab file somewhere) nor have I been able to locate a copy of that specific installer online to download. If you know if a specific location to downoad the file I would certainly be inrterested in the URL.

The issue I think occurs when the Windows temp directory is cleared, such as when malware has been found or the disk cleanup utility is run and the temp directory contents are deleted. After this occurs the Solution Center seems to become "sick". It used to be a minor annoyance but lately the Solution Center, even if it finctions normally will not terminate on its own and must be forced closed through task manager or other means.

It seems the only fix will be to completely r&r the software again and then note the name and location of the temp directory the installer leaves behind and preserve it as long as the software is installed and expected to function normally.

Regards,

-noz 

Top Student
Ian_hates_HP
Message 7 of 9 (19,499 Views)

link no longer exists

Student
bugatti
Message 8 of 9 (18,213 Views)

What I did is put the Printer installation CD in the CD ROM then click the "HP Solution Center" from the Windows pop-up menu, then it took care this issue.

Tutor
ArtSmith
Message 9 of 9 (12,467 Views)

[ Edited ]

deleted

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation