HP officejet 6500a plus Fax setup issues.......Please take a look (871 Views)
Honor Student
JoeHardstaff
Message 1 of 6 (871 Views)

HP officejet 6500a plus Fax setup issues.......Please take a look

Hi

I am trying to set up the fax on an Officejet 6500a Plus.

So far I have tried numerous configurations and I can either get the fax to recieve but not be able to make outgoing phone calls or be able to make outgoing phone calls but when a fax is received there is no way of getting the phone handset to send the fax to the printer if you answer the call.

Currently it is set up plugged into the wall jack through an adsl filter on its own. In another wall jack next to it is the phone and broadband through an adsl filter all on the same phone line (one number). I have tried it through the same wall jack and still doesn't work.

Ideally i'd like the fax to be plugged into the adsl filter then the phone to be plugged into the fax through the EXT port but when i do this the phone has no dial tone and does not work.

I set up a brother fax machine/printer a few weeks ago in the above way and it works perfectly, if the user answers the phone and detects the fax sound they press *51 or put the handset down and the fax automatically takes the fax, this doesnt seem to be the case with the HP.

Please can someone help as I hate being beaten by technology!

I am sure you will need to ask some questions to help me so please ask away.

Thanks in advance

Joe

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 2 of 6 (827 Views)

Re: HP officejet 6500a plus Fax setup issues.......Please take a look

I want to give you an example of how HP recommends you to set up your printer for faxing.  Click here and let me know if this gives you any insight or not.  After you find the best setup that works for you and you are still having problems, I may have some questions for you then.  I hope this helps you out.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Honor Student
JoeHardstaff
Message 3 of 6 (810 Views)

Thank you VisionAiry. I think setup option 5 would be the bes t option for me. Where can I get a line splitter from and how much are they.

Thanks
Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 4 of 6 (807 Views)

I am a bit partial to Radio Shack but you could get one anywhere. After checking around, this is a great DSL Filter/Splitter I found and it's only $24.99. I say that excitedly because of the quality of this one.  A cheaper splitter still runs around $20 if you want a decent one.  You don't have to buy it from the link I posted but this will give you a good idea of what one looks like.  

Remember this post because once you install a DSL Filter you will want to go into the Advanced Fax Settings of the printer and turn ECM (Error Correction Mode) OFF and turn the fax speed down to SLOW for the best setup.  It has to do with the speed the analog printer should be set at to convert the digital phone line into a signal it understands. 

Let me know if you have any problems and I will try to get back to you in time.

Honor Student
JoeHardstaff
Message 5 of 6 (805 Views)

Thank you VisionAiry. But I am in the UK so the connection on the end of that splitter will not fit our wall jack. Do I need a splitter if I have an adsl filter?
Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 6 of 6 (801 Views)

OH!  Well I must admit that I do not know about the configurations of your internet service provider in your area so let me explain why I would have one and see if this qualifies for you.  A digital phone service that provides internet to a computer and a phone line to an analog fax line can make a lot of noise that the fax machine can not interpret.  I found an ADSL In-Line Filter for you.  This will definitely be able to provide more information for you than I can.  Tell me what you think about this link.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation