Question

Honor Student
novice770
Message 1 of 8 (2,754 Views)

HPDeskjet 3510, MacBook Pro OS 10.8 Problem scanning wirelessly

I have a MacBook Pro running OS 10.8.2. I am using an HP Deskjet 3510 to scan and print documents. I can print documents with either the USB connection or with the wireless connecion just fine, and I can also scan documents when the USB cord is attached, but I cannot scan on the wireless connection.

When I try to scan wirelessly it says "Scanner communication cannot be established. HP Deskjet 3510 is currently unavailable. Ensure your device is powered on, check the connection, and ensure your network is functioning properly. If these conditions are correct, restart the device and try scanning again."

I have had this problem since I got this printer (like 3 months ago) but I didnt worry about it because I don't scan so much. But its irritating to have to connect the USB everytime I want to scan and I'd love to resolve this.

Any ideas?

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 2 of 8 (2,721 Views)

Re: HPDeskjet 3510, MacBook Pro OS 10.8 Problem scanning wirelessly

I would check and make sure the Scan to Computer setting is enabled. This is an option that you have to choose when you install the printer software.

Follow these steps to check the Scan to Computer setting.

1. On the main menu, click the Apple icon, and then click System Preferences.
2. Click Print & Scan.
3. Under Printers, click your printer, if you see more than one printer.
4. Click Open Print Queue. The print queue for your printer should now open.
5. Click Printer Setup and a new window will open.
6. Click the Utility tab, and then click Open Printer Utility. The HP Utility window should open.
7. Under Scan Settings, click Scan to Computer .
8. At the top of the screen, click the check box next to Enable Scan to Computer, if it is not already checked. Scan to Computer should now be enabled.
9. Try the scan again.

Please let me know if these steps resolve your issue or not.

Best of luck!
-Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Honor Student
novice770
Message 3 of 8 (2,716 Views)

This doesnt work for me. I get up to step 5 and then I lose you. There is no "printer setup". My only options are "resume" "settings".

Can you give me instructions for Mac OS 10.8.2 please?

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 4 of 8 (2,711 Views)

Try settings then. I don't have my MacBook with me right now to confirm, but these are the listed steps for 10.8.

Here is the document if you want to check yourself, but I just listed the steps for you in this thread.

Product Home Downloads Troubleshooting User Guides Contact HP A 'Computer Not Found' or 'Connection ...

If that doesn't help, I'll have my MacBook with me tomorrow and I'll be able to take a look at the settings myself.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Honor Student
novice770
Message 5 of 8 (2,706 Views)

Thanks but that doesn't work either. Could you please recheck with you macbook and get back to me? Thanks again

Honor Student
novice770
Message 6 of 8 (2,631 Views)

I hope to never buy any HP product again. This is rediculous customer service. Its been months and I still have no answer!

If you are reading this, it's probably too late, but if its not- DON'T BUY HP. JUST DONT DO IT.

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 7 of 8 (2,600 Views)

Wow, for some reason I wasn't notified of a reply for this. I just now ran across it again. 

I would recommend installing the full feature driver if it is available for your version of OS X. You may have the AirPrint drivers installed and sometimes the full feature drivers work better than AirPrint.

Go into "Print & Scan" under "System Preferences", select your printer and press the minus (-) button.
Now, press the plus (+) button and you should see your printer.
Select it and then below you will see three fields.
Drop down the selections for “Use:” and choose the name of your printer instead off AirPrint.
This will install the full feature drivers.

This should help, but let me know if it doesn’t.

Best of luck,
Kyle
Signature
Honor Student
nycloft13
Message 8 of 8 (2,381 Views)

Hi, 

Kyle_W wrote:

I would check and make sure the Scan to Computer setting is enabled. This is an option that you have to choose when you install the printer software.

Follow these steps to check the Scan to Computer setting.

1. On the main menu, click the Apple icon, and then click System Preferences.
2. Click Print & Scan.
3. Under Printers, click your printer, if you see more than one printer.
4. Click Open Print Queue. The print queue for your printer should now open.
5. Click Printer Setup and a new window will open.
6. Click the Utility tab, and then click Open Printer Utility. The HP Utility window should open.
7. Under Scan Settings, click Scan to Computer .
8. At the top of the screen, click the check box next to Enable Scan to Computer, if it is not already checked. Scan to Computer should now be enabled.
9. Try the scan again.

Please let me know if these steps resolve your issue or not.

Best of luck!
-Kyle

Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem.  Everything else works for me, and I'm even able to procede through all of your steps.  But that still doesn't resolve the problem.  Anything else I can do?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation