Question

Honor Student
AZbline
Message 1 of 6 (678 Views)

Have "Phone off Hook" message. Have reset printer and modem but no help. /can't send/receive faxes.

HP Officejet L7650 with Windows Vista. Recently started getting "phone off hook" message. Have checked all phones and reset printer and modem but did not help the problem. Any suggestions on what to do next.

Teacher
Mugu
Message 2 of 6 (673 Views)

Re: Have "Phone off Hook" message. Have reset printer and modem but no help. /can't send/r

HI

When the printer says there is Phone of hook , this means the line is used before coming to the printer . Please check the following

1) Make sure the line is not shared by any other device

2) Connect the telephone line from  the wall socked directly to the printer.

3) try calling the fax line from different phone and see if you get busy tone

4) Connect the same line to a telephone and see if you can receive call

If the issue persists, please get back with the below details

1)What line do you have Analog or DLS line

2) How is the connection made from the phone wallout let to the printer

Please revert with the details .

regards

Mugu

---- If my answer was helpful please click the "Kudos" star.
If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Though I work for HP the post are of my own

Honor Student
AZbline
Message 3 of 6 (665 Views)

Re: Have "Phone off Hook" message. Have reset printer and modem but no help. /can't send/r

The things you recommended I had already tried but checked again in case I missed something. I have  DSL for my internet connection. I called the phone company and the modem is working fine. The phone line/DSL comes out of the wall outlet and goes to the modem then to the printer. I can take the phone line from the modem and hook it to a phone and the phone works fine. When I hook the line out of the modem to the printer I get the "phone off hook message, which leads me to believe the problem is with the printer. I

Teacher
Mugu
Message 4 of 6 (663 Views)

HI

Since you have a DSL line, you need a DSL filter which convert the digital line to analog

Please try to make the connection this way.

1) From the wall outlet >.Connect the DSL filter

2) The phone end of the DSL filter connect it to the printer. Then try to receive a fax.

If your modem has inbuild filter please let us kwon the ISP provider and the moel of the modem which you have.

Please revert for more clarification.

Regards

Mugu

Honor Student
AZbline
Message 5 of 6 (660 Views)

I have a fiter on every phone line in the house and things have worked fine until just a couple weeks ago. This is one of the things we went over when I called the company to check the modem. It is a qwest ZyXel PK5000Z modem. They thought it was the line and I have tried several lines out of the modem to the printer and still get the phone off hook message.v

Thanks 

Teacher
Mugu
Message 6 of 6 (654 Views)

HI

I was just checking the modem detail  and need more clarification.

I see the modem has phone port. So just wanted to check if you are connecting the  printer to the modem phone port.

If not can you please take a picture of the DSL filter and attach it to the post.

You have also told that you have tried in different lines , so can you tell me how many line are there in the house and wat are the devices connected to it.

If possible disconnect all the lines and have only the printer connected to the dsl filter and see if the issue persits.

Most of the time phone of the hook message is mainly because of the line and not the printer.

Reply with  ALL  the above detail to help you better

regards

Mugu

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation