Question

Honor Student
Onbashi
Message 1 of 12 (20,504 Views)

How do I enable 'Scan to computer' via the printer software in a mac OSX 10.7 environment?

I am unable to see my apple mac computer listed on the printer's screen. When I select scan and then computer, it simply informs me to enable scan to computer via the printer software, does anyone know where this setting is?

• OS X 10.7.3 (Lion)
  • HP Photosmart 5510
  • Connected wirelessly with the latest drivers (as of today)
  • HP Utility 5.2.0

Associate Professor
stix4
Message 2 of 12 (20,446 Views)

Re: How do I enable 'Scan to computer' via the printer software in a mac OSX 10.7 environment?

Hello,

Thanks for the post.  With Lion (10.7) you do have other options for scanning.  I've included a link below with some steps to do this.  Good Luck!

On the computer desktop screen do you see printer icon which says HP Photosmart 5510? If YES, double click it. Then double click "Scanner Actions" and then you can see the option "Activate Scan to computer".

Note: In order to use scan button on the printer, this feature should always be activated. Once activated, if you restart the printer or computer, this needs to be re-activated again.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01910186&tmp_task=useCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lang...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00274694&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=311255&tmp_...

I worked for HP but my posts and replies are my own....Thank you!

*Say thanks by clicking the *Kudos!* which is on the left*

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with (Accept as Solution) if it solves your issue.*

Honor Student
cwarner161
Message 3 of 12 (17,673 Views)

Re: How do I enable 'Scan to computer' via the printer software in a mac OSX 10.7 environment?

I have a Hp all in one 110e series, I want to enable scan to my Mac Book Pro, can you give me the webpage so i can enable scan to computer.

Associate Professor
stix4
Message 4 of 12 (17,607 Views)

Hello, 

Thanks for the post.  With this one, we actually have several options for scanning.  I've included the links below for scanning with both the HP software and for scanning without.  On the computer desktop screen do you see printer icon which says HP AIO 110e? If YES, double click it. Then double click "Scanner Actions" and then you can see the option "Activate Scan to computer".

Note: In order to use scan button on the printer, this feature should always be activated. Once activated, if you restart the printer or computer, this needs to be re-activated again.

Good Luck!

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02456650&tmp_task=useCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lang...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01910186&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=5070125

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with (Accept as Solution) if it solves your issue.*

Honor Student
cwarner161
Message 5 of 12 (17,564 Views)

Thank you for your help, it was very helpful, I can now scan to my Mac Book, Thank you again.

Student
nycmom
Message 6 of 12 (16,468 Views)

I don't have an icon on my imac. How do I get my hp envy printer to connect and scan to the computer?

Associate Professor
stix4
Message 7 of 12 (16,431 Views)

Hello Nycmom,

Thanks for the post.  Since we don't have an icon, how did you install the HP printer?  Did you use the disc or ASU to get the driver software?  When you choose file/print, what does your iMAC see as the default/last used printer?  Check the below document for some great tips on ensuring that it is installed and assistance if not.  Good Luck!

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03457987&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&la...

Student
Hollzy
Message 8 of 12 (7,931 Views)

I have downloaded the HP software on my Mac OS 10.8 how do I enable the printer software to 'Scan to computer'

Associate Professor
stix4
Message 9 of 12 (7,729 Views)

Hello Hollzy,

Thanks for the post.  If you have not already located these steps, check the steps below to enable scan to computer.  Good Luck!

Step one: Check the Scan to Computer setting
Follow these steps to check the Scan to Computer setting.

1. On the main menu, click the Apple icon ( ), and then click System Preferences .
  2. Click Print & Scan .
  3. Under Printers , click your printer, if you see more than one printer.
  4. Click Open Print Queue . The print queue for your printer opens.
  5. Click Printer Setup or Settings . A new window opens.
  6. Click the Utility tab, and then click Open Printer Utility . The HP Utility window opens.
  7. Under Scan Settings , click Scan to Computer .
  8. At the top of the screen, click the check box next to Enable Scan to Computer , if it is not already checked. Scan to Computer is enabled.

Student
mindyholman
Message 10 of 12 (7,460 Views)

I am unable to scan to my computer - printer/scanner tells me that the computer has not been selected but I don't see a printer icon anywhere on my computer, desktop, applications, etc.  Any ideas?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation