Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Office Jet 4655
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

How do I clear a paper jam & clean document feeder? The paper keeps jaming

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

HI @BabyDrayton,

Thank you for reaching out to the HP Support Forums! 

I see that you would like to know how to resolve paper jams and clean the automatic document feeder (ADF). I would be happy to look into this with you and please remember to return to this thread and mark 'Accept as Solution', if I have successfully helped you resolve the issue. If you wish to say 'thanks' for my effort to help, click the 'thumbs up' to give me a Kudos.

I understand the frustration that you're experiencing. It sounds like there could be an obstruction inside the printer, please follow the guides below.

To resolve paper jam problems:

To clean and resolve paper jams in the ADF:  

Tips for preventing paper jams

• Do not put any objects (such as paper clips, coins, or rubber bands) on top of the printer that could potentially fall inside the input tray.
  • Do not print on paper with paper clips or staples attached.
  • Make sure that the paper is loaded correctly in the input tray.
  • Before loading paper in the ADF document feeder tray or the input tray, hold the stack of paper, and then tap the bottom edge on a flat surface so that the stack is even on all sides.
  • Make sure that the paper width adjusters on the ADF and the input tray are correctly positioned before inserting paper into the printer.

CAUTION: Do not force paper into the tray.

• Do not load too much paper in the ADF document feeder tray or the input tray. Consult the documentation that came with your printer to find the recommended amount of paper for your printer.
  • Add paper to the input tray only when the printer is not printing.
  • Make sure that the printer supports the paper type. See the documentation that came with your printer for more information.
  • Do not use paper or envelopes that are bent, torn, dusty, damp, wrinkled, curled, or that do not lie flat.
  • Use only one type of paper at a time. Do not mix different types, weights, or sizes of paper.
  • Do not use paper that is too thin, too thick, or too glossy for the printer.
  • Make sure that the paper rollers are not damaged or dirty.
  • Make sure that the parts of the ADF are clean and free of dust or sticky material.
  • Make sure that the cartridge access door is securely closed.
  • Make sure that there is nothing blocking the paper path.

If you completed all the preceding steps and your product still has an issue, service the product.

Contacting HP for service in all countries/regions except Asia Pacific.
First, go to Check your product warranty to check your printer warranty status, and then go to Contact HP Support to find an authorized service dealer or to schedule a repair.
Check Warranty Status: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/wc/public/home 
Repair fees might apply for out-of-warranty printers.
What you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process: 
Step 1. Open link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect 
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options" 
Step 4. Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number 
Case number and phone number appear. 

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. Good Luck! 🙂

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.