Question

Top Student
Shark
Message 1 of 17 (6,499 Views)

How to use HP scanner software

I am at wits end in trying to figure out how to use HP scan software.  I have 3 HP all-in-one machines which all work fine except I can't figure out how to use the scan software.  The basic issue is there seems to be no way to set size, resolution, exposure level, color vs black & white, etc in advance of a scan.  I have fussed with this for a few years and always give up and use a non-HP scanner as I have done today.   I'm hoping it's not just poor software but rather there is something basic that I don't understand.  My machines are HP Laserjet 3050 & 3390 and an HP Inkjet J5750.

My normal scans needs are 8.5X11 inch documents with a BW pdf output. 

Top Student
JDLee
Message 2 of 17 (6,493 Views)

Re: How to use HP scanner software

Before yesterday, I had only ever scanned pictures with my HP 7410 all-in-one.  Last night and this morning, for several hours, I set about learning how to scan documents to PDF files.  What a frickin nightmare.

I'm using a new iMac with the latest Mac OS and fully updated HP software.  I just switched from PC, and, as far as I can tell, the HP software for both platforms is pretty similar in its capabilities, so what I have to say probably applies to PC.

I think I was having the same issue you are having.  Using HP Scan Pro, you can create and save "Profiles" that are supposed to include things like resolution, size, etc.  But I tried every way under the sun, and could not create a basic Profile for scanning basic 8.5" x 11" documents in black and white.  Even if I get the first page that size, subsequent pages in the same scanned PDF automatically revert to 8.5" x 11", even if I'm not trying to use the whole Profile thing.  And the resolution settings are often overridden to a higher resolution when I click "Accept."

After playing with Scan Pro endlessly, I think the inability to set certain parameters for repeated scans comes down to limitations in the software.  If I'm wrong about that, if there is a way to set up a profile with specific Profile with size and resolution settings locked-in, I'd sure like to hear about it.

Top Student
Shark
Message 3 of 17 (6,538 Views)

Uhoh, I was hoping I had a mental block, not ugly software.  As for Profiles, I've set them up but the software provides no way to access them before starting the scan.  I keep thinking that can't be right and there must be something I'm overlooking.  Surely HP software is better than what it seems on the surface.  I hope so.
Top Student
JDLee
Message 4 of 17 (6,526 Views)

After I read your post and replied, I went back and played with it even more.  It really seems that no matter how I set things, I can't get it right.  I can't help but think that it is limitations of the software.  It's almost enough to make me want to drop $299 on Acrobat.  Or open my wrists in a warm bath.
Top Student
JDLee
Message 5 of 17 (6,521 Views)

Okay, I just went through uninstalling and reinstalling all of my HP software.  I then went in and tried to set up a Profile specifying the dimensions and resolution I wanted.  But, once I did that, and scanned again using the Profile, it won't prompt me for subsequent pages in the scan.  If I don't load the profile, it does ask me if I want to scan another page, but, with the Profile loaded, it does not.  Also, it always reverts back to 300 dpi although I have specified 100 dpi.

I'm no changing the setting that involves prompting for extra pages to scan from the glass, so it is obviously some sort of quirk of the software.  Just trash software from HP that doesn't have enough features to make it useful. 

Top Student
Shark
Message 6 of 17 (6,519 Views)

Well unfortunately I've pretty much concluded the software is the fatal weakness in HP scanners.  It's such a big company with such a huge produce line, I just kept thinking I must be dense.  But I've very literate and even figured out how to dual boot my laptop with both XP and Vista,  not an easy task.  But I spent way less time learning how to make slip disks and all the other things for dual boot than I have on the HP scanner.  I just don't want to give up though, surely there is a key somewhere.
Top Student
JDLee
Message 7 of 17 (6,513 Views)

If anyone else out there reads this... If anyone is alive out there...

I've boiled a large part of the problem down to whenever I set a Profile in HP Scan Pro, using that Profile causes Scan Pro to quit prompting for subsequent pages (pages from the glass) that it otherwise always prompts for.  I am NOT changing that setting in my Profile, so I have no idea why loading the Profile does this.  If I could get past that one problem, I think I'd be pretty happy with the results.  I think it would help the OP, too.

Please help! 

Top Student
Shark
Message 8 of 17 (6,485 Views)

I think it may not prompt for additional pages if you have selected the option to automatically save it to a file with a default name.  Try the option of having it prompt you for a filename and see if that helps.

As for my issue, it all boils down to not knowing how to scan 8.5X11 pages in black & white in an exposure that is legible.  While I seem to be able to select black & white and exposure for the current page, it then uses defaults for the next one.  Also, I can't get 8.5X11 size.  Typically it will come up 8.43X10.xx with the option of making it smaller but not bigger.  It seems like HP scanners are meant for color photos and not for documents???

Top Student
JDLee
Message 9 of 17 (6,463 Views)

It's interesting that we're both having problems with getting settings to apply to subsequent pages in the same scan.  Even when I can get it to prompt for additional pages (when I'm not using a Profile I've saved), it reverts to the full 8.5" x 14" scanner size although I did change the sentence for the first page.

My problem doesn't have to do with the use of a default name.  Even if it's something that prompts for a name, it still doesn't ask to scan for subsequent pages if I've loaded a Profile.

Every time I think about this, I question myself and decide that surely it's something I'm doing wrong.  Then I spend a couple of more hours trying to get it to work right.  Ultimately, unless someone else chimes in with something I just haven't even thought of, I think you and I both are down to this just being the limits of shoddy HP software.  

And yes, I do think they're aiming the software more at scanning pictures.  The ability to do what you and I are trying to do--scan multiple-page, black and white,  8.5" x 11" documents to PDF--should be one of the easiest, most basic features of scanning software.  But it isn't.

Top Student
Shark
Message 10 of 17 (6,443 Views)

You and I have arrived at the same conclusion.  Like you, I kept thinking there was something simple that I just wasn't getting.  I'll give up again for now but will likely come back to it another day.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation