Question

Top Student
Junes1
Message 1 of 36 (35,946 Views)

Hp Photosmart C7280 won't scan but will print

Recently my scanner stop working, when I try to scan I get an error message saying the HP Device was not found.  Try the following steps......and then try again.  I tried all the steps and I can't scan anything.  The device is online, it is working, if I try to print from the computer to the printer it prints what I want, but if I try to scan a picture or document it gives me this message.  I tried all the suggestions that the screen gives me including uninstalling and reinstalling and still get the same thing.  A few weeks ago everything was working fine.  Any suggestions on how to get this to work again.  The latest updates on my computer was installing MSIE 8.0 and the update for the printer which was supposed to help error in communications.  Seems since that update it stopped working correctly. 

Thanks for any help

June

Honor Student
Rigs03
Message 2 of 36 (35,872 Views)

Re: Hp Photosmart C7280 won't scan but will print

I have had the same issue happen with my C7280 as well. It was working fine a week or 2 ago, but now I can't scan to the PC, Mac laptop or anything other than a memory stick.  Everything else works fine - print, copy, fax just the scan option has died.....

I have looked through the latest windows security updates and couldn't see anything in there that would have effected it....

Any suggestions anyone??

Thanks

Rigs  

Top Student
Karmi
Message 3 of 36 (35,329 Views)

My HP Photosmart C7280 won't scan but prints just fine.  I've checked all the settings and they are ok.  It tries to scan, in that it goes through the motions, but when the preview comes up, I can't interact with the HP Scanning window and the item I scan doesn't go to file.  Any suggestions? 

Also - will it scan slides?  Somewhere in "Help" at HP I saw a mention that it does, but I can't find any buttons/menu that acknowledges that function.

Thanks, ahead of time.

Student
NickDavis
Message 4 of 36 (35,332 Views)

I have the same problem. My C7280 was scanning fine until recently when needed (infrequently) but when tried to scan last night received a message to say that scanner not found - although oprinting continues to work just fine. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the HP printer drivers from the CD ROM and this confirmed it could see the printer and printing still fine + can see ink reserves on dashboard...but scanning just will not worek regardless of whether attemnpt this from  the feeder tray or glass or if try to scan from front panel of the printer or using 'scan to pdf' or one pof the other alternatives from HP icon on my dock.

Apart from downloading and installing the usual apple software updates the only other thing I can think of that has changed is that I have installed snow leapord to upgrade from leapord. 

Anyone able to assist with a solution??

Student
misst
Message 5 of 36 (34,926 Views)

My hp c7280 is rarely used and still looks brand new. Suddenly I've started receiving a "Scanning Failure" message which won't allow me to copy, scan, or fax but it will print. What's the point of buying an all-in-one if it's just going to give out after some months. I am sooooo unhappy with HP right now and I need some answers. The IT person tried to troubleshoot over the phone but that didn't work. Somebody help!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would appreciate any help. If this thing doesn't start working soon, I vow NEVER to purchase another HP. What a waste of money and my time!

Honor Student
Rigs03
Message 6 of 36 (34,917 Views)

Hi Everyone,

I was unable to solve this problem at all, until I decided to run the restore disks on the computer as started having adaware problems that I couldn't resolve.  Once I reinstalled everything including the C7280 everything was fine again, scanning, copying and printing.  I know it's a last resort kinda option - but it worked!

Good luck

Rigs

Student
gir420
Message 7 of 36 (34,044 Views)

The scanner will not work with Snow Leopard.  The work around is to scan under the Image Capture App on the computer.  It is painfully slow, but at least you can scan until you use up all the ink you bought.  Then go get a better all in one.

Honor Student
schatterd
Message 8 of 36 (33,989 Views)

I have the same problem, although mine is C7180.  It should be the same as the 7280.  When I hit the scan button on the printer, i get the same results.  When I try to scan to the computer it tells me to view the device documentation, which of course, is HP's documentation, which provides no answers.  I can only scan the image to a flash drive, which scans the image like a jpg.  I can't choose whether I want tiff, png or any other file type.  Then of course, Ive got to go and resize the document because its a huge file size that I then cannot email.

God help me...no more HP, no more Dell....just gonna go offgrid...was happier then anyway.

Student
hriphil
Message 9 of 36 (33,956 Views)

I have the hp 7280 as well.  I have new dell studio laptop with Windows 7.  Downloaded "driver for Windows 7" but it still will not scan.  I can print.  Apparently no one from HP is responding with a solution?

Top Student
Junes1
Message 10 of 36 (33,940 Views)

Just to let you all know thatmy problem was solved.  Not by HP but on my own.  I also have this printer connected to my laptop and have one at work and started to have problems with the program not functioningon all my computers. Two of them were Vista and 1 computer XP but all having the same problems.  I removed the software from my systems, went to HP and downloaded the latest version of software and drivers and installed them.  The screen that opens looks different  which means they have made some changes to the program, but my scanner now works fine.  I did this for all my computers and all of them are working.  I only have one problem left on my home computer desktop when I try to duplex it tells me I don't have that module installed and won't allow me to duplex through the machine automatically.  I know its there I use it at work as well.  But overall the major issues were solved when uninstalling the printer and its software and downloading the newest from the web.

For those of you who are saying you are having problems with Windows 7, my work computer is now Windows 7 and I downloaded the program from the web and installed it, I have no problems at all.  But each computer is set up differently with different program and settings.  Make sure you are downloading the proper software and drivers.  There are two versions of Windows 7  there is the regular one (32 bit) and the 64 bit.  If you don't download the 64 bit drivers and you have the 64 bit windows you will have problems.  If you are downloading the 64 bit and you have the regular Windows 7 then you will have problems. Hope this helps some of you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation