11-01-2010 06:56 PM
I just bought a new hp computer with Windows 7. I tried installing software for an hp scanjet 4850, and it failed. I tried downloading drivers from the hp website, but still failed to install. It's pretty old, but someone at hp said it should be compatible. They said they would charge me for tech support, so I'm trying this forum to see if anyone has any ideas. Would appreciate any advice.
11-02-2010 09:30 AM
If you haven't already got this download the software installer for your scanner on the link below and save it to your Desktop. If you already have it, move it on to your Desktop.
Next download revo uninstaller on the link below and install it.
Run Revo and see if it finds any HP Scanner software installed. If it does, right click the software icon and select uninstall. During the process you may be asked to delete registry entries. If you are, just select all and click delete. Do the same for any left over files and folders. Once completed, reboot the PC.
Download and install 7-ZIP
Disable any Antivirus and Antispyware software.
Now right click the software installer on your Desktop, select 7-Zip, Extract files and click Ok. Open the newly extracted folder, right click on DPInst32 ( or DPInst64 if you have Windows 7 64 bit ) and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.
I hope this helps.
****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****
Microsoft MVP - Windows Experience
- Using the HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows to Help Resolve Printer Issues
- HP All-in-One and Fax Product Family - Interpreting Error Codes in Fax Communication Error or Fax History Reports
- HP Fax Products - Testing Your HP Fax Machine with the HP Fax Test Service
- HP All-in-One Products - A 'Scanner Failure' Message Displays on the All-in-One Control Panel and You Cannot Scan, Copy, or Fax
- An 'An error occurred while communicating with scanning device' or a 'There is no computer connection' Message Displays When Scanning for HP Printers