Question

Honor Student
JC_Girl
Message 1 of 7 (350 Views)

I have an HP Officejet 6500 A Plus. It will not feed paper into the ADF for scanning/copying.

I have an HP Officejet 6500 A Plus.  It will not feed paper into the ADF for scanning/copying.    It worked before, but was putting a black line on paper that was scanned through the topfeed.  The line was not showing up when copying or scanning from the platen glass.  I cleaned the printheads, took the scanning section apart (as best I could) and used canned air and lintfree cloth to clean the scanner glass.  Put it back together again.  Everything seemed to go back together right.  It still works fine copying from the platen glass, but now it will not feed paper through the top at all.  I have to scan many multi-page documents in my job and MUST have that top feed working, with no line on the paper!  It just takes forever to scan the pages one at a time on the glass.  PLEASE HELP!!!

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 2 of 7 (334 Views)

I have an HP Officejet 6500 A Plus. It will not feed paper into the ADF for scanning/copying.

JC_Girl, when you say that you "took the scanning section apart" how did you do this? Are you sure that when you reassembled the ADF apparatus that all the parts were correctly in place?

What happens when you try to scan? Is there a clicking sound or any noise at all?

Just to let you know that when you see a -thin- line or lines down the paper in a copy, most times cleaning off the copier glass with a lint-free cloth will remove those lines. Often it is just dust collecting on the glass.

Let me know!

Honor Student
JC_Girl
Message 3 of 7 (330 Views)

Re: I have an HP Officejet 6500 A Plus. It will not feed paper into the ADF for scanning/copying.

It makes no sound at all, and doesn't even try to feed it in.  It just sends paper through the lower tray.  Of course, nothing is on it because the original is in the top feed....  

I feel certain that I put it back together right.

Honor Student
JC_Girl
Message 4 of 7 (328 Views)

Re: I have an HP Officejet 6500 A Plus. It will not feed paper into the ADF for scanning/copying.

Your black theory doesn't hold because the line didn't ever show up when scanning or copying from the platen glass, only when it went through the ADF on top.  A copier repair friend told me the "speck" causing the line had to be on the scanner glass strip which, on this model, is not easy to get to.  That's why i had to take it apart, to clean that strip of glass.  The line disappeared after that, so I'm sure he was right, but then it quit feeding the paper through....  I am very frustrated, to say the least!

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 5 of 7 (314 Views)

In the 6500A models there is actually a separate scanner glass for the ADF that is only access through lifting the top ADF lid. Because there are two panes, it is possible for one to show lines and not the other.

JC_Girl, did you follow any guides or instruction on disassembling and reassembling your printer? Could you link me to them if you did?

Generally speaking, HP recommends against steps that require taking apart the printer unless it is a method of last result.

Let me know!
Honor Student
JC_Girl
Message 6 of 7 (312 Views)

Unfortunately, the owners manual has NO INstructions whatsoever in the event you must take the equipment apart, if you get black lines from the scanner glass, etc..  I took out four screws only...two from in front of ADF and two from the back.  I was then able to lift that whole section off of the bottom part, lever it up and see the scanner glass and white scanner bar.  I could not figure out how to take the narrow scanner glass panel off all the way, so I used canned gas and a lintfree cloth to clean it off as best I could.  This was not easy because it was still attached by the wide white plastic ribbon at the back.  I set it back in place (without the screws) and ran alot of copies through it successfully with no more black lines.  However, when I re-screwed it in place, it would no longer even try to feed the paper through.  I figure I probably messed some little something up while jiggling it all around doing all those things.  I also cleaned off all the rollers, the cork pad, etc. as recommended in a video I accessed off the web.  But I never could find a video to show the proper way to take it apart and put it back together, so I had to wing it.

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 7 of 7 (310 Views)

I am sorry to say, but the issue you are experiencing is likely related to disassembling the hardware. The initial issue you describe and the current one you have are unrelated to each other.

If there is not mechanical sounds, then it would appear that the motors are not working or are not working in conjunction with each other.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation