Question

Intern
SyBerGuy
Message 1 of 4 (216 Views)
Accepted Solution

Incoming Fax Page, Black Thick Line down the left side edge

Hello,

I recently bought a HP Photosmart 7520 printer and had to return it because of a bad ON/OFF switch on the printer.  So I returned it and bought another one. This second printer works perfectly so far!  However, when I recieive a fax the page has a very Thick Black Line running down the entire length (less an inch from the top and bottom) on the left side edge. It almost appears to be a design for a fax page?  The first printer (returned one) did not do this, but it is showing up on the second printer.  Further, the original fax page I sent to a friend and he said it did not have a Thick Black Line on the fax page he received... and then he sent along a return fax to me, with this Black Line showing up.

Any thoughts comments,

SyBerGuy

HP Support Agent
Cheetah12
Message 2 of 4 (183 Views)

Re: Incoming Fax Page, Black Thick Line down the left side edge

Hello SyBerGuy,

Welcome to the HP Forums! I understand your concerns with your Photosmart 7520. Please try these steps to try and resolve your issue:

Make sure this printer is plugged into a direct wall, not a surge protector. HP recommends this step and this might resolve your issue.

Please follow this entire HP document on Vertical Bands, Lines, or Streaks in Copies, Faxes, or Scans.

Also, try Resetting the Printer.

Let me know how your progress goes.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!

Cheetah12
I work on behalf of HP
Intern
SyBerGuy
Message 3 of 4 (163 Views)

Hello Cheetah,

Thanks for getting back to me on this issue. I looked at the link you provided and did what I could as far as cleaning (however, a new printer should not get dirty).  Also, the vertifcal banding examples is not what I see on my fax print.
It is a triple thick black line going down the left most side and noteworthy is that it does not cover the entire page from top to bottom)... with a white area on top and bottom ... more of a design feature (cover page maybe) from my friends HP machine.   I also used the HP fax number to receive a fax back (two times) and the faxed back pages does not have the black line going down the left side.. which is a good sign.

Further, this morning when I turned on the printer and printed a page, the only think that came out was some black areas and one was wet (with alot of black ink). I tried again to print a page and the page had faided out text, in a few places (not an entire page of text). Turning the printer off and off correctly printing a good page.  However, I also send a fax to another person (I do not know what printer he is using), and the fax went through. Upon this person returning my original fax page it did not print correctly (just a few faided out text lines).  I sent another fax and asked to receive second one back and this time the page came through correctly with text. 

Furthermore, I cleaned the well for the black photo and large black cartridges, then did a cartridge cleaning... which came out all right.  Also, there appeared to be some static on the phone line as I listened to the fax signal being sent.. and the printer was connected to a surge protector. I have now connected the HP printer directly to a wall outlet and will see what might transpire in the next week or so... and will get back with an updated post.

Aside- I have owned HP printers in the past and they are work horses, never a problem. I also recently bought a Epson printer which was faulty and returned it. I also have recently returned one HP 7520 Photosmart printer which was faulty as well. This is my second HP7520 Photosmart printer and I hope it proves to be a good purchase... and no problems in the near future.

Sy

Intern
SyBerGuy
Message 4 of 4 (137 Views)

Hello,

Has been over one week since my last post. And I also had the printer connected to a surge protector multi-plug outlet (never needed to connect directly to a wall out, which I would have done if I had a problem).  The problem was solved by replacing the big black ink cartridge, which was not printing text.

Further, earlier when I checked out the ink levels, it showed the graphics at about 1/4 still remaining in the cartridge. I also had prevously clicked on tell me when the ink levels are low. None of this ever happened?  So now I will have to watch closely regarding printing a proper/good text page.

So for now the pirnter is good to go and hope to not have any more problems..... thank you for your help!

Sy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation