Question

Student
robprichard
Message 1 of 2 (2,457 Views)

Installing ScanJet 5300 in Windows 7 running in XP Mode

The non-profit I volunteer at bought a new HP desktop running Windows 7, and I installed XP Mode so we could run an old typesetting program (PageMaker). PageMaker runs OK, and our HP printer works in both Windows 7 and XP mode.

But when I attempt to install the HP ScanJet 5300 USB scanner it appears in the Win7 Control Panel Device Manager Scanners and Cameras list, but because there is no Windows 7 driver for it, it is shown with a yellow exclamation point (I assume the lack of a driver is the cause of this).

When I switch into XP Mode and look at the USB list of devices available to the XP OS, their is an "Unrecognized Device"  listed and it is available to Attach. I have already loaded the 5300 XP driver. When I attempt to attach the Unrecognized Device, it does not work, and the device disappears from the USB list.

So my question is: Is it possible to install this scanner into the XP OS running on Windows 7? If so, does anyone know how to install the ScanJet 5300 on a computer running Windows 7 running the XP OS via XP Mode?

Thanks for any help, Rob

Top Student
Acton_Minuteman
Message 2 of 2 (2,412 Views)

Re: Installing ScanJet 5300 in Windows 7

I think I have my HP Scanjet 5530 working with full functionality (or at least the functionality that I use) on an HPE-180t with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

My explanation may ramble a bit.  I apologize in advance.

I gave no consideration as to whether any of my printers, scanners, etc would work with my new HPE-180t.  It took me several days to get my HP Color Laser Jet 2600n to work as a networked printer.  (The printer works, but I never got the HP toolbox to work.)

I started reading this HP (user/consumer) Support Forum and the HP Business support forum looking for info on getting the HP Scanjet 5530 to work.  I was not hopeful.

Over the years of doing remote IT support for my parents, I discovered my life was simplified if they only bought HP printers and scanners.  I always copied whatever software came with their new printer or scanner and installed it on my computer.  What I discovered was their newer version, different program application name often worked with my older printer and scanner. (For example, while my older Windows 98 scanner may not have had any newer updates for Windows XP, the newer software from my parents scanner or all-in-one printer/scanner/fax often worked great for me).

Let me digress about my HP CLJ 2600n. One reason it took me several days to work is because trying different types of installations probably messed with the registry.  It wasn't until I found a restore point that pre-dated my earliest attempts to install the printer that my last attempt actually worked.  I don't know if what I did is reproduceable or not but it began with a clean registry. 

(fyi - Scanner was not connected.)  First, I found a current HP G4000 series scanner and downloaded a full install for Windows 7 64 bit.  I wanted to try a Windows 7 HP supported scanner application software.  Naturally, it could not find any device because nothing was connected.

Second, based on info on the HP Business forum, I connected the scanner, then Windows 7 automatically located a driver and said the device was ready.  I was hopeful.  I openned the HP Solutions Center and no scanner was found.

Next, I went to Devices and Printers and found the HP Scanjet (don't recall the label, it might have said 5530).  I was able to scan but without the option of saving the image to a pdf file.  Also, while the import function worked it would hang. 

Next, I accidently found a Windows Fax and Scan Option.  Again, I was able to scan but without the option of saving the image to a PDF file.  Everything worked, nothing hanged.    The Microsoft supplied driver and solution provides some scanner functionality but not all the functionality provided thru the HP software.

Next,  I downloaded the Vista 64 bit full installation software for the HP Scanjet 5530.  Again, based on info from the HP Business Forum (for a completely different scanner), I went to the properties Compatability tab and selected Vista SP2 as the compatability mode and checked the option "Run as an Administrator".   The installation gave the choice of an express or advance install (don't recall the exact name choices) options.  I selected advance because I wanted to see as much info as possible.  The older Vista-64 bit 5530 installation kits found or recognized the newer software installed from the G4000 installation kit.  The HP supplied 5530 driver got installed (and several other items).

HP Solutions Center software installed from the Windows 7 64 bit G4000 scanner installation kit coupled with the HP 5530 driver installed from the Vista 64 bit installtion kit appears to give me all the functionality that I had on my Vista 64 bit laptop.

One problem I created for myself is I didn't do a good job of keeping track of what application came from what device. I now have many different HP <Applications>.  I have limited knowledge as to whether they came from the new HP computer (as delivered), the HP Printer, or the HP Scanner.  I checked the file creation date and added the year to the shortcuts so they now say HP <Application Name - 2006>, etc.

I work remotely from home using a Windows XP Pro desktop, a Vista Ultimate 64 bit laptop and now a Windows 7 Pofessional 64 bit HPE-180t desktop.   One comment that keeps occuring over and over is the checkbox "Run As Adminstrator" .  This seems to apply both to the distribution kit installation, the shortcuts that get created and the actually program icons.  "Run as Adminstrator" seems to fix many problems for me associated with moving devices (ie hard drives, scanners, cameras, etc) between these computers.

Ronprichard - about your specific XPMode question.  I can not specifically help as I removed Windows 7 Virtual PC and installed Virtual PC 2007.  However, someplace in XPMode there is an option to attach or bind a specific USB device to XPMode.  You might want to do a search on XPMode and USB devices.  I think you may need to specially tell XPMode about the scanner. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation