Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

For my C5180 I found that a power off reset of the printer allowed the LCD list to get updated correctly and the Scan Menu button now has lots of options such as Pic To Email etc. I hope this is not a temporary fix!

HP Recommended

This is a very convinient solution for HP...

Instead of givin us a real soluction, they suggest to Disconect and Reconect the Printer every now an then (for me more than twice per week), because in every re-conection the printer will spend some ink in the cleaning heads proccess...

We loose a lot of time. We send them more money paying cartriges. And they stay at their desk preparing new bloated sofware to sell us with a new printer.

Thanks a lot. 

HP Recommended

LCD update is one time exercise only. Not mean to do each time printer or PC starts.

If you still have the problem, I would advice to use the PC scan: Launch the hp scan application and scan it from there.

Also you can use other programs like paint (Winthin paint program clike file->select scan from scanner) and scan from there.

Also depend on your model, if it is connected to network. then go to web browser enter the IP address or the printer and you will find the scan option from browser too.

If above options doesn't work, then it is something to do with the printer and not software.

Click on the "Thumbs up"button on the bottom to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)

HP Recommended

This fixed my issues.

HP Recommended

This worked for me. However, it requires waiting while the printer cleans the printheads and exercises its parts. HP should have a better solution than that, such as making it possible to clear this problem through the HP Solution Center while online.

HP Recommended

What does this error message mean?  What is the LCD list?  How do I update it?

Tutor_Linda

HP Recommended

I agree with those who are out of patience with HP. I am able to scan checks at home and deposit them into my account - figuratively speaking. I have never been able to scan and deposit without a great deal of difficulty. The list of problems include, but are not limited to:

- "LCD list needs to be upgraded" message that disappeared after a printer reboot. Note - This appeared after a choice of more than one PC appeared on the scan list (when prompting for a target destination for the scanned file). After the reboot of the printer, the choice of PCs disappeared.

- "HP Solution Center not fully installed" message when attempting to scan from the computer. This required an uninstall and reinstall of the driver software too many times.

- "Try scanning from Computer" message when attempting to scan from the printer. PC is fully booted and printer is on. It remains on all the time.

- Printer disappears from the "Printers and Devices" list. If you use a static I.P. address, that will solve the problem, But the printer will then not be able to communicate with the internet. If you use a dynamic (changing) I.P. address, the printer communicates with the internet, but disappears from the "Printers and Devices" list.

- I frequently get a message "Printer Cartridge Problem". I solve it by resetting the cartridges.

and on and on ...........................

I have little patience with software (and other products) that biodegrade over the short term. I have lived with these problems for more than a year. The solution is simply do an hour or two of research, find out which brand of printer is reliable (not HP) and then do the switch.

I have an HP pavillion and laptop. They are terrific machines - durable, reliable and fast. Why can't HP get their printers to work well with HP computers? Go figure.

After all, it isn't like I didn't try to give HP a chance.  

HP Recommended

Linda,

I think LCD means the Liquid Crystal Display (I'm guessing) that shows on the front panel of the printer. I believe the message means that the list of options available for scanning a document, such as scan to a document, scan to a pdf, etc., is insufficent. However, each time this message is given to me, there are no more options in the left screen to add to the right side, the right side being what is supposed to show on the printer LCD when seeking to scan from the printer.

Although the program HP Solutions will effect the scan FROM THE COMPUTER KEYBOARD, that does not solve the problem of scanning FROM THE PRINTER LCD, which is helpful on a network like my wireless network and the computer is elsewhere in the house. The LCD panel has, and should always, allow controlling the scan from printer to computer WHILE AT THE PRINTER LCD intead of having to run back and forth to do it FROM THE COMPUTER KEYBOARD.

Following the advice to shut down and restart the printer does solve it, but only momentarily. Later, the same problem occurs. Repeated shut-downs and waiting for the power-ups is a clunky way to "solve" it.

I think the problem may be related to several computers using the same printer. In the past I've had problems of one computer, or one user, having full control of the printer, to the exclusion of full control by other users/computers. HP needs to improve their program to handle the multi-user environment flawlessly.

HP Recommended

I use my printer/scanner/copier for almost all of my school work. I need my scanner on a daily basis in order to upload homework and exam assignments for one of my online classes.  I dont understand what the message means when it says that i need to upgrade my lcd list. how do i go about doing this so i can have my scanner back?

HP Recommended

OG, your message of 6/2/2011 sounded promising. But, this was already done and shows that each computer on the home network already had a directory defined to receive scans. I get the message to upgrade the LCD list anyway, when choosing one of the computers, but no response at all when choosing the other. Scanning from the computer works, but not from the printer, which unreasonably requires the walking back and forth to effect a single scan. Ugh!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.