Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I have just setup a Laserjet Pro 200 (MFP M276nw) and have it successfully printing from an iMac running Mavericks OS. I am also able to scan using the HP scanning utility. All of this is connected via my wireless network.

However, no matter what I try I am unable to scan directly into a network folder. I have setup file sharing and ensured it is enabled for SMB sharing. I have ensured that the computer account on the shared folder I have created has full read/write access. I have created the network folder via the printer' ews as per the HP instructions (the path being \\<my mac's IP address>\public) and made sure username and password are set correctly. When I test the network folder I get an "Unable to connect to network folder" message.

I have disabled the Mac's firewall and have ensured that the printer software and firmware are the most recent versions available (they weren't but I updated them). I have deleted the shares, disabled file sharing, rebooted and then re-enabled file sharing, re-created the shares and set them up again in the ews but still it doesn't work. I can ping the printer successfully from the Mac and as stated earlier, can print and scan using the HP scan utility.

I have rebooted the printer and also the router.

Please help!
7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi Aye_curumba,

I understand you can print and scan, but you are unable to scan to the network folder on the Mac. I can help you with this. It it is usually a issue with the path to the network folder.

Here are the steps below for setting up the network folder if you would like to try it.

You might have to contact Apple to get the registered user and password name.

I would ask them to help setup the network folder also.

1. Create a new folder on your computer.

2. Right click (CTRL+Left click if using the Mac keyboard) it and then select Get Info.

3. Unlock the screen, set the everyones term as Read & Write, located under Sharing & Permissions..

4. Enter System Preferences > Sharing and then select File Sharing from the left bar.

5. Click the Options button, mark the Share files and folders using SMB (Windows) and click Done.

6. Under Shared Folders, click the Plus sign and select the configured folder.

7. Make sure that "Everyone" permissions are set to Read & Write under the Users list as well.

8. You will see the IP Address listed at the top of that screen, take a note to configure it from the EWS page.

You should use the following path template:

//IP-ADRESS/Shared-Folder-Name

Make sure to include your username and password while setting the network folder scan.

I have provided a document for the setup for scanning to a network folder.

How to Scan: From the Control Panel (Including Scan to Email, to a PDF, and to a Network Folder).

Select Scan to a network folder.

Let me know how you make out.

Have a great day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
Hi and thanks for the response. However, I'm afraid I've already tried everything you have suggested in your post and I still just get the "Cannot connect to the network folder. Ensure the shared folder name is correct" message.

I have tried using forward slash and back-slash in the folder path and neither works. All permissions are set correctly and SMB file sharing is enabled.
HP Recommended

Hi @Aye_curumba, 

I see that you followed all the steps in the previous post and you are still not able to scan to a network folder.

Most likely it has something to do with the folder created or the path to the folder.

I would recommend to call Apple, to have them help you setup the network folder and to get the proper path.

Let me know how you make out.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I cant speak for MAC as i have never used one, but on newer HP models with the scan to network folder acility, in a windows environment, you have to create a login on the server with distinct username/password.

In a non domain environment, the username you have to enter has to be in the form of MACHINENAME\USERNAME

Now i dont know if MACs use a similar concept or not ?

Also in windows when you share the folder, you have to add the scanner logon ino the folder permssions an d give it read/write access.

Id imagine if you have access to two MACS on the same network, then if you cna browse the nework (using the username and password for the scanner login, o the location of the shared folder, then that would confirm the folder is setup correctly)

HP Recommended

I have played with the inputs from you and others, thanks!

I run the test using the M476nw setup page in my browser. The test for the file works on the computer.

When I scan, it tells me I have the wrong username or password. 

What is the format for the username? Users\username? Just username?

Thanks!

Michael

HP Recommended

the format is: domain/user

HP Recommended

Hi! Thank you for your posting. 

However, I have closed this thread to help keep the comments timely. If you have more to add, please start a new thread. Click here if you want to learn more about how to start a new conversation/thread.

Please post in a new thread for better exposure. It may also be helpful if you posted a few more details about your computer/printer and your issues.

1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.

If you have any other questions about forum posting, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you!"

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.