Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
M277dw
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I updated macOS Sierra yesterday.  I've been using HP Easy Scan for many years, but after the update I've been received scanner unavailable/error.  I uninstalled HP software and reinstalled, now when I press "SCAN", nothing happens...no error message.  

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

@rrjjdb

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw printer and after upgrading to Mac 10.12 Sierra, the scanning does not work. The HP Easy Scan does no work and an error appears saying scanner unavailable/error. You have reinstalled the HP software and issue persists. You've done a remarkable job performing the steps. 

I did some research and found that the there are no full-featured drivers available for Mac 10.12 Sierra and that's why the scanning is not working. Therefore the HP Easy Scan does not work on Mac Sierra. 

However, I have a workaround for you. And before that I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Is the printing working fine?
  • is the printer able to make a copy successfully? Because if the copy works, it indicates that the scanning hardware is fine. 

Meanwhile, the printer drivers are released through an Apple update and these drivers should make the printing and scanning to work. please follow the below steps:

• Please download the Mac inbuilt drivers from this link: http://hp.care/2flF56z.
  • From System Preferences, click on Print & Scan.
  • Click the Plus sign.
  • Select the listed Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277 (This printer's drivers should work).
  • Click the drop-down menu next to Use or Print Using and click on Select Printer Software.
  • Select the Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277 from the list.
  • Click OK to confirm your selection and add the printer, then try printing using the configured print queue.

You may not be able to scan using the HP Easy Scan program. However, you may try to use the Apple Image Capture to scan.

I hope this workaround helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Cheers!

HP Recommended

I also am having problems scanning with the MFP M277dw since upgrading to 10.12.4.  when I try to go through Image Scan or scan from the system preferences/printer screen I receive the scan window that says waiting for scanner. The scanner never responds so it stays terminally at "waiting for scanner".  I downloaded the drivers you provided the link for and installed. I chose the MFP M277dw printer from the dropdown list and still had the same issue. I removed the printer. Rebooted the machine and installed again. Still "waiting for scanner". Do you have any further suggestions? I would greatly appreciate having my scanner back working.

HP Recommended

Greetings @PATTI6919

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are unable to scan from your printer through your computer running on MAC OS X 10.12. 

Kudos to you for trying a lot of troubleshooting steps on your own.

Are you able to make a copy on the printer?

How is the printer connected to your computer? (USB or wireless.)

The full feature software for your printer is available on our website, recommend you uninstall the printer again, reset the printing system and install it back by following the procedure mentioned below. 

uninstall the printer software from your computer using the method suggested in this HP Article

(Have the printer disconnected from the computer during uninstallation.)

Once you have uninstalled the printer software, reset the printing system.

HP Printers - Resetting the Printing System (Mac)

Restart the MAC

Download Easy Start from this link and install the printer. 

Alternately, to you can also download and use HP Easy scan from MAC store for free. 

Let me know if this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

After following the procedure mentioned, my M277DW not scanning (macOS Sierra 10.12.4)

My M277DW works wireless connected, and scan fine from a Windows 10 machine. I've 3 MacBooks (all with 10.12.4) and no one scan. Before upgrading to 10.12.4, all scaned fine. The problem is the driver (19.13 installed). Crystal clear .....

I think HP have to deliver a new driver version that solve the issue and don't waste users time trying workarounds/procedures.

HP Recommended

@viceberg

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂

I understand that you have an HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw printer and it is unable to scan on Mac Sierra. However, the printing works. The printer is able to scan and print from a Windows computer. I read that before upgrading to Mac Sierra, the printer was able to scan. I appreciate your observation.

Based on the inputs, it confirms that the printer is fine. Due to the lack of scanning drivers for Mac Sierra, the printer is unable to scan. However, I have a workaround through which the printer should be able to scan. Please perform the following steps to install the inbuilt printer drivers through an Apple update. 

• Please download the Mac inbuilt drivers from this link: http://hp.care/2flF56z.
  • From System Preferences, click on Print & Scan.
  • Click the Plus sign.
  • Select the listed Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277.
  • Click the drop-down menu next to Use or Print Using and click on Select Printer Software.
  • Select the Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277 from the list.
  • Click OK to confirm your selection and add the printer, then try printing using the configured print queue.

Once you have performed the steps, please try to scan using the Apple Image Capture to scan in Mac Sierra.

Hope this information helps. Let me know how it goes. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my HP Color LaserJet MFP M277dw with f firmware datecode: 20160921 connected to my iMac with macOS Sierra 10.12.4 via an Ethernet.

I followed the procedures as described above:

• on My Mac I uninstalled the HP Printer software, HP Easy Scan and rested the printer system.
  • my printer was rested to its default settings and I looked for new firmware (no updated found)
  • I downloaded and installed “HP Printer Drivers v5.0 for OS X”
  • I downloaded, installed and used “HP Easy start”
    HP EasyStart Test Page: test printer OK, test  scanner failed (massage “connecting to the scanner)
  • Also, I defined a ‘Secure AirPrint’ and an ‘AirPrint’  printer.
    For all printer definitions ‘open scanned …’  in the ‘Printers and Scanners’ pane in ‘System Preferences’ I got only the massage ‘Waiting for scanner …’

I agree with iceberg and this that HP has to deliver a new driver version, new firmware or both and don’t let me waste my time with procedures and work arounds.

PS 1: An HP Easy Scan defect:

HP Easy Scan did not accept my valid Dutch postal code. (However, when I wanted to quit the program I  got the option to skip this step)

PS2: This is the second time I experience problems with this scanner. I would have saved a lotto time. frustration and money if I had replaced this MFP with another one.

HP Recommended

My MFP M277dw have 20160921 firmaware datecode, as pisca46.

I followed the same procedures and ..... "Waiting for scanner".

HP Recommended

Hi @pisca46, @viceberg,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I understand you both are having the same issue, But this is the best workaround at this moment. I cannot make any speculations when the updated software would be released either by HP or Apple. However, your valuable feedback is very much appreciated. 

You could also try Apple image capture and check if that helps. Here is the link.

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Jeet_Singh,

Thank you for your clear and honest answer.  I realise, I have to wait or sell.

It a pitty after using HP laser printers for more than 25 years.

Best regards,

Pisca46

PS

Image capture produced the same result ‘Waiting for scanner …’

It is probably only a short cut for 'System Preferences' > ‘Printers and Scanners’ > 'Open scanner'. It has essentially the same user inteface and uses - most likely - the same driver.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.