My HP Officeject 4620 Won't Scan (3495 Views)
Honor Student
dweymer
Message 1 of 5 (3,495 Views)

My HP Officeject 4620 Won't Scan

I see multiple posts about different models of all-in-one printers which can print and copy but won't scan. My new printer is a HP Officeject 4620, and it copies and prints fine but won't scan. I tried calling support once, and the tech said Windows WIA might not be working.

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 5 (3,491 Views)

Re: My HP Officeject 4620 Won't Scan

Hi,

Please clarify your operating system.

What connection type is used?

Additionallty run the HP Scan Diagnostics Utility and let me know if the test succeed or failed.

For any failure, make sure to include the error messge provided by the tool (Attaching a screenshot of the error might be very helpfult).

Regards,

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
EWT210
Message 3 of 5 (3,490 Views)

I have Officejet Pro 8500 wireless with same problem, printing works, scanning does not when using Windows 7- 64 bit.  Network diagnostic tool reports no issues.  Scanning diagnostic reports OK for everything but HP Twain test.  There are two versions of printer driver installed each time I remove the two drivers and start new.  I am using the latest download from HP for installation.  The second version of the driver seems to be aimed for a fax.  Using scan diagnostic util reports can't connect.  Also, there is an unknown device showing in device manager that has no driver installed.  This device show in printer device screen and can be used by Microsoft Paint to scan a .bmp frile from the scanner.  I've downloaded and applied the patch to fix network connectivity and this has no effect on the scanning problem.  A second computer runing vista pro can run the scanner using HP solution center software.  Problem is the second desk top is located too far away from the Officjet Pro 8500.

It appears there isn't a driver being installed for Windows 7/64 bit to run the scanner part of the multifunciton printer.

Top Student
ShipHP
Message 4 of 5 (3,419 Views)

I just got an OJ4620 yesterday. Hooked it up this AM, installed software, etc. Like OP, print & copy work fine. Any attempt to scan not only doesn't work it freezes Windows making me force boot my machine.

I've looked via Google & Ask, followed links and followed some directions. On HPs site I was told to scan using either paint or photo gallery. Neither even recognizes the 4620. I DLd and ran HP DR which tried to scan, told me to do some things, rebooted, tried again then told me to go to HPs site, which of course has me in a loop.

I saw you mentioned a scan diagnostics. The only diagnostic tool I found was HPHD something or other. I DLd that but, other than a print & copy test, it had nothing for trouble shooting scanning. Can you provide a link to the tool you reference please?

BTW, running Vista 64-bit, all updates current as of this AM anyway.

Thx.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ID is for my convenience only. I AM NOT associated with HP in any way.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Top Student
ShipHP
Message 5 of 5 (3,415 Views)

Never mind, found it. For anyone who's having trouble there's a link from the Help section of the HP software. Also, do a search on HPSDU on HP site and you'll find it. Thx.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ID is for my convenience only. I AM NOT associated with HP in any way.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation