Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My question is why do I have to have a microsoft account logged in to use HP software?

I won't log in therefore I cannot use the software.

Figures.

HP Recommended

Hi-

This is true for any Microsoft Store app, not just an HP app.   This is not a restriction imposed by HP, but rather Microsoft.   You still have the option of using the desktop software provided by HP on Windows 8.1 if you wish.

I am an HP employee, however, this content reflects my personal opinion and is in no way associated with HP.
HP Recommended

Well, I installed the new HP Scan and Capture 1.4 for Windows 8.1, but it still won't scan negatives.  What now?

HP Recommended

Negatives (or slides) are not supported in this app.   The original desktop scanning software for the G4050 is needed for these features.

I am an HP employee, however, this content reflects my personal opinion and is in no way associated with HP.
HP Recommended

Fish4Life, thank you for the information, and YES, that did work, and the unit worked as advertised, and the software worked equally as well.  

I am not seeing the check box for "best answer", "this worked", "this resolved the issue" or anything like that.

Advise how to pass on the information.

Thanks

HP Recommended

HI CrazyCajun,

Glad to hear it worked out for you!  Since this thread is just a general info / question thread for the 1.4 Scan and Capture version, I wouldn't try to mark it as the answer.   Just give it kudos and that should be good enough.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Well, this is just another reason Windows 8.1 isn't any good, not able to scan negatives and slides!   I carried my computer to a technician and am having to pay someone to fix it for me.  He thought this will be a simple 1,2,3.  NOT!  He told me to come back tomorrow.  I had already tried installing the software for the scanner and I have a wireless printer that I installed on there, too, hoping one of them would do something.  That HP Solution was the best ever!  Windows 8 is the worst yet!

HP Recommended

How do I fix/set/change things that would let me use the desktop software provided by HP?  I would certainly like to be able to do this.  Thank you for your patience with me.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry but I stil have the #1 complaint "it does not work with my device" despite a latest update on 2014-03-05 !

HP Scan and Capture works fine in my office with an HP Officejet 6600.

But I cannot use it at home with an HP Deskjet F4580 :mansad:

When I try to select a new scanner, the only available scanner is the laptop cam.

The printer is connected with an USB cable.

The printer works fine on the WI-FI network or as a Web Service Device (WSD).

I have not been able to instal the printer as a USB-connected printer.

Where am I wrong ? Can anyone help me ?

Thanks,

Stéphane

HP Recommended

Hi Stephane,

I see that the Deskjet F4580 does have Windows 8.1 drivers and software downloadable from HP.com support.   I recommend downloading these and installing them on your system.   That will give you an installed USB Scan driver, which is necessary for the HP Scan and Capture app to work with your device.      HP Scan and Capture app requires a working installed driver for any USB scanning device.   

I see you mentioned you have not been able to install the printer as a USB connected printer.    Can you elaborate on this?   You should be able to download and install the software as I mentioned above and get it working in that fashion.

Thanks!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.