New Officejet Pro 8600 Premium with envelopes in tray 1 and 8.5x11 in tray 2 copies only to tray 1. (2557 Views)
Top Student
Spheroid
Message 1 of 11 (2,557 Views)
Accepted Solution

New Officejet Pro 8600 Premium with envelopes in tray 1 and 8.5x11 in tray 2 copies only to tray 1.

New Officejet Pro 8600 Premium with envelopes in tray 1 and 8.5x11 in tray 2 copies only to tray 1.  When I try to select tray 2 in copy options, only tray 1 appears as a  choice.  How do I choose tray 2 when it is not listed, and further, make it the default copy tray?

Master's Graduate
prabaa
Message 2 of 11 (2,548 Views)

Re: New Officejet Pro 8600 Premium with envelopes in tray 1 and 8.5x11 in tray 2 copies only to tray

[ Edited ]

I remember come across this issue:

1.  Power down the printer and Remove the bottom assembly and not just the Tray 2. 

2. power up, power down,

3. Replace tray 2 assembly and power up. 

To enable Tray 2 as default copy tray. Go to the Printer->LCD panel->select Copy->Select Settings->Chose the Tray 2 as default.

Click on the "Thumbs up"button on the left to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)

Top Student
Spheroid
Message 3 of 11 (2,510 Views)

Re: New Officejet Pro 8600 Premium with envelopes in tray 1 and 8.5x11 in tray 2 copies only to tray

The final step, once Tray 2 appears as an option in Copy Settings - Tray Select, is to page down to the last setting option and press 'Set As New Defaults'.  Without this last step, Tray Select = 2 is only an override for the current job, and will reset to Tray Select = Tray 1 for subsequent jobs.

Honor Student
john_kieffer
Message 4 of 11 (2,452 Views)

I followed your instructions and now when I go to print an envelope it tells me I'm out of paper. Any suggestions to help it identfy that it is full of envelopes?

Student
Sovud
Message 5 of 11 (1,230 Views)

Hi I just got a 8600 printer, I read about two trays, I have only one, I have tried for two day to print an envelope. Did HP make a mistake and now send me a tray 2,,? Could you walk me though printing one envelope at a time again... 

Thank you so much.

Dave Sovud

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 6 of 11 (1,173 Views)

Hey Dave,

I see you recently got an Officejet Pro 8600.  You mention that yours came with a single paper tray instead of two.  The Officejet Pro 8600 and Officejet Pro 8600 Plus models only come with the single paper tray.  Only the Officejet Pro 8600 Premium comes with the 2 paper trays.  However, owners of the base and plus model have the option of buying the second paper tray for their model at a later date if they decide it is necessary for their usage.

Print on envelopes (Windows)
1. Load envelopes print-side down in the tray. For more information, see Load media.
2. On the File menu in your software application, click Print.
3. Make sure the printer you want to use is selected.
4. To change settings, click the button that opens the Properties dialog box.
Depending on your software application, this button might be called Properties,
Options, Printer Setup, Printer, or Preferences.
5. On the Layout tab, change the orientation to Landscape.
6. Click Paper/Quality, and then select the appropriate envelope type from the Paper
Size drop-down list.
7. Click OK, and then click Print or OK to begin printing.

This information came from the User Guide for the 8600 found here.

Hope this helps,

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Honor Student
Sovud1
Message 7 of 11 (1,165 Views)

I figured it out,, printing ok now, and Ordered a #2 tray to see if I need it or want it.. Thanks a lot
Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 8 of 11 (1,161 Views)

No problem, Dave.  Glad to hear you got the issue resolved.  If you need any further assistance or have further questions do not hesitate to post again here on the HP Support Forums.  There are many HP and Volunteer experts who are more than willing to help with your issue.

Happy Printing,

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Honor Student
Sovud1
Message 9 of 11 (1,157 Views)

quick question.. does the #2 tray accept 8x14" paper, I will know Friday as my tray will arrive
Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 10 of 11 (1,150 Views)

Great question, Dave, and the answer is yes.

If you look in your Tray 1, then you will see a Blue tab at the front left corner.  Pench this tab in and pull the tray out to extend for Legal size paper (8.5x14).

This is the exact same process you will have to perform to extend the Tray 2 allowing for the Legal size paper.

Hope this helps,

Jason:smileyhappy:

I am not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation