Question

Honor Student
jakobud
Message 1 of 5 (3,561 Views)

OJ 8500 A909a - How to scan over network w/o HP software

I hate all the bloated HP software that HP forces you to install when installing the drivers for their printers.  So I figured out how to install my Officejet 8500 A909a on my wired ethernet network without installing their software and it works perfectly!

My last hurdle here is figuring out how to scan over the network to any of the computers on my network.  In the Embedded Web Server, the Webscan page scans great and I can save pics that way.  But are there other options that people have figured out?

How can I scan to a network folder?  I press Scan on the printer and it asks what computer to scan to, but it doesn't give me a list of computers to choose from.  I assume I need to add those manually somehow, but I'm yet sure how to.

Anyone got any ideas?  At all costs I want to avoid installing HPs bloatware to get this working.

Master's Graduate
kikokixz
Message 2 of 5 (3,557 Views)

Re: OJ 8500 A909a - How to scan over network w/o HP software

hi,

Try to use this link how set up and configure digital filing if you are using a mac os. Or, use this link to setup and configure digital filing for windows os.

Hope that would help.

Kiko
Honor Student
jakobud
Message 3 of 5 (3,553 Views)

According to those instructions it requires me to install HPs Solution Center along with all the other unnecessary bloated software that I do not want.  Is there any way to setup the printers "Scan To" shortcuts without installing HPs software?

Grad Student
tinuwangiro
Message 4 of 5 (3,537 Views)

i think you need to install the hp software but all you need to install are the "HP Solution Center" and "Digital Imaging Devices"

Have a Blessed Christmas!

(i may represent HP but this advice is solely my own)
Master's Graduate
kikokixz
Message 5 of 5 (3,532 Views)

Hi,

You need to install the hp solution center and hp imaging device for you to be able setup the printer's scan to option. If don't need other hp programs associated with your hp printer to be installed in your computer, you need to select "custom install" to specify the hp programs you would like to install.

Kiko
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation