Question

Student
Peaitchdee
Message 1 of 5 (1,457 Views)

OJ 8600 Pro - black lines on scans and copies

OfficeJet 8600 Pro - All in One.

I am getting black lines on scans and copies.  I can follow the steps in HP Customer Care and get rid of them.  Resetting the printer does this.  I would like to get a more permanent solution though because it happens frequently and resetting the printer once a week is quickly becoming irritating.

If these lines can be caused by static charge - has anyone tried to ground the outside of the printer, or used some other static mitigating devices successfully?

Top Student
LyleFro
Message 2 of 5 (1,348 Views)

Re: OJ 8600 Pro - black lines on scans and copies

On 3/20/12, HP support just told me to remove any surge protector and plug it directly into the wall socket. The printer supposedly has surge protection built in.
Student
socalledmom
Message 3 of 5 (1,279 Views)

I had this problem too.  In another forum a person said they'd hooked up the HP 8600 to their Mac and so I thought, oh, maybe that's it and then had success printing, no lines, from my HP.  BUT even there sometimes I'd get the black lines!  I changed the color paper setting to "Other photo" (because I wanted to use cheap, but good quality Kirkland paper from Costo).  NO LINES!  I was going to bring this printer back, but now do not have to.

I'm going to keep researching re:  the MAC problem, it may have been I hadn't set the paper choice right there, too.

It's good the ink cost per Consumer's Report IS low because I sure wasted a lot figuring this out.

Hope this works for you and others!

Tutor
SilviaSound
Message 4 of 5 (222 Views)

One moment I was scanning just fine, the next, everything was coming out as a nearly completely black page (tons of ink wasted on the very soggy pages). Whether scanning or copying, there was no difference. Using the "preview" on the input panel did not show the black prior to printing, but it was showing when using the PC software (HP Pritner Assistant).

Hearing that it might be a static issue, I was able to remedy it by doing the following:

• Power off the printer.
  • Unplug the unit from the surge protector.
  • Press and hold the power button on the printer while unplugged.
  • Plug it back in.
  • Turn it on.

This seemed to be enough to discharge any accumulated static in the machine. I have had to use a similar tactic with my desktop computer tower, particularly if it has been left on for an extended period of time. It may be related to that fan that never turns off, adding to the room noise even when in "sleep" mode (another aggravation). I would think it's the continually moving parts that cause the problem.

PS to the person who quoted Consumer Reports: check a more recent exposé in a later issue: apparently there was a flaw in their testing method. The OfficeJet 8600 drops significantly in efficiency when printing in smaller batches, due to the cleaning of print heads. It goes from being better than a laser printer to worse than its inkjet peers.

Student
NFHP8600
Message 5 of 5 (175 Views)

Thank you so much this really worked!!! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation