Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Photosmart C5100 series
Other

For years I happly used the HP Photosmart C5100 in combination with OSX. Always had zero issues using the image capture tool from Apple to scan in documents and pictures.

But to my suprise, the recent OSX Sierra update broke the scanning functionality. Both the Image Capture tool form Apple or the Easy Print Application from HP are not able to scan, so I suspect a drive issue here. When I visit the printer using the Photosmart' IP adress in my browser I can preview the document currently in the scanner, so I know it still works. Also, printing still works, it's just the scanning what broke. I restarted my devices (Photosmart, computer ect) but nothing that resolves the issue.

I hope HP can quickly provide an update or fix so that normal operation of my HP device can resume and I can be a happy customer again for many years.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The latest Sierra update (10.12.2) also fixes the scanning issues for me with an C5100. Happy that the scanning works again, I was already thinking this was a lost cause...

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
HP Recommended

Hi,

By resetting all your devices, have you tried resetartign your router too?

If not, restart it by unplugging its power for 30 seconds, allow it up to 3 minutes to start and ten reboot the pritner and then Mac again.

If the same persists, try installing the following package from apple:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1888?locale=en_US

Once done try scannng and check for any difference.

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Unfortunately the problems are still present.

I tried yet another restart of my devices, but that didnt work.

Then I installed the driver you linked too, but also that did nothing to fix my problems.

I removed the printer from OSX and added it again. But also that did not fix the problem.

I am still not able to scan anything. Even worse, looking at the Printer settings in system preferences, the scan tab isn't even shown anymore for this photosmart as it was there before I reinstalled the driver and printer.

Also the HP Easy Print application does not work.

Yet at the same time, another macbook i borrowed running OSX El Capitain (10.11) still works perfectly with the photosmart. Not a problem at all with printing and scanning, just as it worked for years.

There is clearly a bug in the driver that miscommunicates too OSX what the printer can do.

If I for example open the webadress of the printer I can use the scan preview on the webinterface. So the printer is not broken.

I really hope there is another solution I can try, cause this is really annoying. Too bad HP didnt test the macOS Sierra developer previews to get this stuff working!

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problems after updating to MacOS Sierra (Macbook Pro Retina 13 inch late 2013). I am using an Officejet J6400 series printer:

1. Scan tab is not shown anymore  in printer settings after driver re-install. 

2. Easy scan does not work (same error message).

Re-booted printer and computer several times, did not help. Printer is connected via WIFI. Printing, however works. 

Kr, AOF

HP Recommended

Same problem here - but with Photosmart C6100 series

HP Recommended

Hi,

Same problem HP 5180 MacBookPro 13" Early 2011

HP Recommended

Hi All,

I have the same problem with my printer HP Photosmart C5180.

I tried to reinstall the printer, it doesn't fix anything.

The scan tab still missing and the HP Easy scan app didn't find my printer  😞

I don't understand why it's not working. On the official apple website, the printer is marked as fully supported (print & scan).

See: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201465#HP

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks for showing your interest in the HP Forums! I see that you are having issues scanning using the HP Printer Drivers v5.0 drivers. I would like to help.

The HP Printer Drivers v5.0 drivers are supposed to support printing and scanning using Sierra.

If you haven't already, Repair the Disk Permissions on the Mac and Reset the Printing System on the Mac to see if that helps:

• Repair Disk Permissions:

• Click on your desktop so that next to the Apple icon it says Finder, then click on Go (you will see this next to Finder after File,   Edit, and View).

• Under Go, click on Applications.

• In Applications, select Utilities.

• In the Utilities folder, you will see Disk Utility, double-click this icon to open the Disk Utilities.  

• Click on your Hard drive, then click on First Aid. Click Run to allow it to run.

Reset the Printing System:

Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus (+) symbol.

Click the Apple icon and then click System Preferences.

Click Printers & Scanners.

Right-click (or Ctrl +click) in the left white side panel, then click Reset printing system.

Click OK to confirm the reset.

Type the correct Name and Password.

Click OK to reset the printing system.

Then click the + sign to add the driver, highlight the printer. (you might have to click the drop down to select the printer's name) Then click on the Add button.

Let me know how the printer name was listed in the Printers & Scanners window.

How is the printer connected? ( Photosmart C5180 or  Photosmart C5180 Airprint)

If anyone has had success, please let everyone know!

Let me know if those steps worked for you. If they did, that’s awesome! Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers! Good Luck!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

This doesn't work for me 😞 !

I reset my printing system and then I add again my printer.

Here some screenshots :

Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 19.16.57.jpg

Click on + >

Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 19.17.16.jpg

Click on Add > 

Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 19.17.31.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 19.17.46.jpg

Click on Options & Supplies > 

Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 19.18.03.jpg

My printer is connected by wired to the network. It was fully working before the macos upgrade.

Thanks

HP Recommended

I try to install this package that provide the hp driver V5.0 :

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1888

and then reseting my printing system but it does nothing..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.