Question

Student
ReadyReport
Message 1 of 8 (819 Views)
Accepted Solution

Officcejet 6500 Wireless - Blue Vertical Lines on Scans and Copies - Cannot Open ADF Fully

HP Officejet 6500 Wireless - problem with blue vertical lines on documents when using the auto document feeder.

Scanning through the flatbed is fine. I have been looking on here for a while now and all suggest cleaning the glass in the ADF, and I have... tried. I can't get it open more than about 3cm. This is enough to just about get a cloth inside but nowhere near enough to clean it properly, or even see if these is anything on it to clean.

I've followed some tutorials online already and am following the steps but just cannot open it fully.

If it is not the glass being dirty that is the issue, is there anything else it could be? If I copy through the ADF it is also printing the vertical lines.

Student
formitchell
Message 2 of 8 (787 Views)

Re: Officcejet 6500 Wireless - Blue Vertical Lines on Scans and Copies - Cannot Open ADF Fully

have you had any luck resolving this issue?

Honor Student
wjwatson
Message 3 of 8 (702 Views)

Re: Officcejet 6500 Wireless - Blue Vertical Lines on Scans and Copies

formitchell wrote:

have you had any luck resolving this issue?

no

Honor Student
wjwatson
Message 4 of 8 (701 Views)

Re: Officcejet 6500 Wireless - Blue Vertical Lines on Scans and Copies

Whenever I use the copy or the scan I get a blue line running ertically on the paper

Professor
Gordon_H
Message 5 of 8 (684 Views)

Officcejet 6500 Wireless - Blue Vertical Lines on Scans and Copies - Cannot Open ADF Fully

Hi wjwatson,

There are only a few things that can cause this issue (short of it being a hardware malfunction). Check out the following link for some troubleshooting you can try to resolve the issue:

http://goo.gl/LUUN0
:smileyhappy: If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution :smileyhappy:
Student
PS1394
Message 6 of 8 (652 Views)

Re: Officcejet 6500 Wireless - Blue Vertical Lines on Scans and Copies - Cannot Open ADF Fully

I struggled with the same blue line issue in using the ADF. I cleaned it... no improvement. I ultimately used a portable lamp to carefully check the cleanliness in the ADF... and I found a small blue mark on the glass. It did not clean off easily but it finally did. It obviously solved the issue. Sometimes you sign a document with a pen, scan it right away. The ink may not be totally dry...

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 7 of 8 (639 Views)

The poster above is right, most often times vertical lines in scans is caused by dust, debris or marks on the scanner glass. The easiest way to remove those lines is to clean the glass with a lint free cloth (like a glass-cleaning cloth or a coffee filter) and some filtered water. If the printer has an ADF assembly on top, some printer models require you to open up that portion of the printer to access the ADF glass for cleaning. 

Here is a video on those steps : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_jaaLwsufs

Generally speaking lines caused by dust/debris are going to be black. In some cases if the color is visible (like above) it will adopt the color on the glass (color scans/copies only). If you have multiple lines of multiple colors, that is a different issue entirely. I would resolve that issue by unplugging the device from the printer and the wall outlet for thirty seconds and then powering the unit back on. 

I hope this information is helpful! 
:smileyhappy:

Student
DLThp
Message 8 of 8 (551 Views)

I also was annoyed by a single blue streak down all documents that were processed through the ADF - cleaned and recleaned the glass - then used a maginfying glass and a bright light to find a tiny  ink spot half the size of a pin head on the smaller rectangle of glass to the left of the flat bed - cleaned it off and the problem disappeared.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation