Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
office jet pro
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Trouble shooting Moms printer,  remotely. (shes 150 miles away).  Windows 7 machine, Office jet 6800, hooked up to Router, via cat 5 cable.

She can print from her computer, but when she tries to scann anything, she gets an error about the printer not hooked up to the network.

Her printer is ONLY hooked up to Router and Phone system (for faxing).

Can anyone help me with this problem? I will have to try to fix it remotly as I cannot travel there to fix it myself.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That is correct.

It is possible to change to wifi without the full reinstall, but considering you are doing it remotely, a complete reinstall maybe the best approach.

**Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Likely it's due to IP address out of sync, this is a common issue with networked AiO's. Most people have their homenetwork setup as DHCP, so the IP address assigned to the device may change.

Try first run the "Update IP address" tool in the HP software, next to the "HP Scan". If that succeeds, scan should work as normal again. If that doesn't work, another thing to try is reboot (power cycle) both the printer and the computer, so they have a chance to sync up.

Next time you visit your mom, you might want consider change the printer's network setting to a fixed IP, depend on the router, you do this by reserve an IP address or manually assign an IP address that's supported by the router. This way, the IP address for the printer never change and the computers can find it easier.

**Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended

Ok, ya gotta walk me thru this step by step as I will be doing things remotely.

Windows 7. Go to all programs, find the HP folder. 2 items.. HP  Printing and HP scann, I think.

or is it HP6800, and the Update IP should be there, right?

I mean why does it print but not scan? Doesn't that mean the printer already sees the Router?

The Router is a netgear router.

HP Recommended

Ok.. Mom ran the IP update software, and now its saying shes has to check the IP address somewhere..  She doesn't have a clue how to do this.   

Now i wonder.. if the printer is set up for wireless, AND is connected to the Router with a Cat5 connection, do I really need the cat 5 connection?  I ask this because my own system, using a different HP printer, is also wireless, and my printer is hooked up to nothing. everything goes thru my wireless router.. maybe thats what I need to do to her system. Make it so its all wireless (except for the fax part).  Maybe that would fix things? or would we have this same kind of problem every time she looses power?  

Thanks.

Screen capture on Printer software.jpg

HP Recommended

The printer supports wifi, LAN and USB. If it is set up as wifi, then no LAN cable is needed.

Was this the setup before and was working? When the hp driver/software is intalled, it first ask what was the connection type, if the connection type is changed, the computer side configuration needs to update too. 

I suggest first determine if the device is conencted wifi or LAN, you can find this network info on the device's front panel display, by pressing the network icon (the wireless button). 

HP Recommended

Let me get with mom and find out.  I cannot remember how I orignaly set it up, However, I do know this. This time I am going to set it up to be WIFI, just as mine is.. then I need to write down what I did, so that if she looses power and we have this problem again, I can tell her how to fix it.

also, I am not sure if there is a seperate wifi button on her printer. If its there, its part of a menu somewhere. Or I presume is its, becuase that is how it is on my newer HP printer.

HP Recommended

OK FYI, I set the printer up to be connected to the router with the cat 5 cable. My kid brother then installed the wifi part of it so he could print things out from his tablet..

So there might have been a conflict there.

So I am going to reset up the printer to be strictly WIFI

And to do that, I believe it means I have to run the original Printer setup program, and set it up as a wifi network printer, correct? 

Or am I saying this wrong?

HP Recommended

That is correct.

It is possible to change to wifi without the full reinstall, but considering you are doing it remotely, a complete reinstall maybe the best approach.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.