Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The following are my 2 posts of several days ago. From this forum it appears that scanning is a serious problem for many with HP printers. Does anyone know if HP is addressing this issue, or are we just left to fend for ourselves with alleged fixes that do nothing to solve the problem. Any advice is appreciated because short of throwing this HP printer in the trash I don't know what else to do.  Thanks

HP Officejet 4500 Model G510g won't scan. Use Windows 7 64-bit OS. WHwn I press scan button it says  "no scan options". I uninstalled software and downloaded full feaure softwatr. still the issue. I ran HP Scan Diagnostic Utility 4.2 and it does connectivity and device manager, but hangs up on driver....says "scanner not responding". Help.

I tried the Trend Micro hot fix as that is my security software, but while downloading the hot fix, it came back with a failed installation?!?! Is this still the correct hot fix, as I see it was posted 1 year ago now? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi rdhnick,

Follow the steps below. 

1. Remove the shortcuts from the right side

2. Click update device, and then close the scan to setup window

3. Reopen the scan to setup window

4. Add the shortcuts from the left side to the right side

5. Click update device

6. Try scanning from the front panel of the printer

1.png

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

70 REPLIES 70
HP Recommended

Hi rdhnick,

Follow the steps below. 

1. Remove the shortcuts from the right side

2. Click update device, and then close the scan to setup window

3. Reopen the scan to setup window

4. Add the shortcuts from the left side to the right side

5. Click update device

6. Try scanning from the front panel of the printer

1.png

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I am also having issues with my Officejet 4500 scanner. When i turn it on it says "Scanner failure, unable to scan, copy or send faxes". I uninstalled and reinstalled the software and the problem didn't go away. I tried the suggestion above and still got a scanner error. The extended error information says 4,[(2,7,80040007),(3,7,0)]. If anyone has a suggestion it would be appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hi Tbaum750,

Can you make a standalone copy from the printer control panel?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

No I can not. If i try to make a copy i get the error message that there is a scanner failure, can't scan copy or fax.

HP Recommended

Hi Tbaum750,

You are having a hardware scanner failure with this printer.

Is the printer still under warranty or do you have an extended warranty?

Below are some additional options for you to consider.

http://www.hp.com/united-states/tradein/home_flash.html

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02652026

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I'd love to try what you've just suggested, but unfortunately, when I try to even get into the Scan Setup Window, it hangs up and says (as I've already mentioned), "scanner not responding".....then just freezes, allowing me to go no further.

HP Recommended

Hi rdhnick,

Can you make a standalone copy from the printer control panel?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Hi pcwizard;

If you mean a paper copy of what I've placed on the copy glass the answer is yes,

HP Recommended

Hi rdhnick,

Run the following utility below, and let me know the error messages you receive?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02073861

I am an HP employee.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.