Question

Top Student
cccartwright
Message 1 of 10 (3,958 Views)

OfficeJet 8600 - Flatbed Black and White copy causes black lines on copy - Color copy works

OfficeJet 8600 +

Windows 7

When I use the Black and White copy on the flatbed or through the ADF the copy comes out with Vertical Black lines.  The color copy works with no problem.

I've tried cleaning the glass in both areas.  I have tried cleaning the print heads.  This seems to be an issue with the scanner.

Top Student
Pittsburgh
Message 2 of 10 (3,947 Views)

Re: OfficeJet 8600 - Flatbed Black and White copy causes black lines on copy - Color copy works

Just discovered same problem... any fixes???

Top Student
cccartwright
Message 3 of 10 (3,944 Views)

Re: OfficeJet 8600 - Flatbed Black and White copy causes black lines on copy - Color copy works

I saw someone had posted on another site to unplug the printer, wait for a minute or two and plug the printer in again.  It's supposed to reset the firmware.  Haven't had a chance to try this yet.

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 4 of 10 (3,934 Views)

Hello

The following article should cover the steps nessasary to resolve the black lines in scans or copies. Have either of you tried to scan to see if it too has the same problem?

Vertical Bands, Lines, or Streaks in Copies, Faxes, or Scans

Also check to see if you are on the latest firmware. At the link below enter your Printer product number and you can find the firmware update under the Software section for your printer. (The Officejet 8600 has the N911g, N911n, and N911a)

HP Customer Care

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
Student
dlavoie
Message 5 of 10 (3,805 Views)

Works like a charm.  tks

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 6 of 10 (3,803 Views)

Hello dlavoie

Glad to hear my post above resolved your issue. I am curious which one in particular resolved your problem? Was it the article or the firmware update?

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

Tutor
Coachjpp
Message 7 of 10 (3,256 Views)

All of the suggestions posted here DO NOT work to resolve this issue.  The problem started for me about 1 month ago and convienently after the 90 day warranty expired.  I followed all of the steps listed in these suggestions and after giving up for several minutes, I was finally able to get a scan from the ADF without the black line running down one side.  This stayed clear for about 3 weeks or so and today the problem has returned and repeating all the steps and suggestions does not appear to clear the problem and the line exists wehter I select black only copy or color copy with a clean blank white sheet being fed through the ADF. 

What is HP doing to provide a PERMANENT fix for this issue?  How can I get this repaired and working without the fear of this reappearing a month or so down the road.  I have worked with HP products for a long time. This reminds me of the baltent lack of response to nknown issues with the HP 1100 laserjet.  What a piece of garbage....

Honor Student
P-Jeanne
Message 8 of 10 (3,065 Views)

Thank you Travis! The tip in the article did the trick - specifically, pulling the power cord to reset the firmware.

Thanks!

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 9 of 10 (3,060 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello P-Jeanne

Glad to hear that your copy problem has been resolved.

---------------

Hello Coachjpp

Sorry about this late response. I did not see I had a response to this thread until P-Jeanne posted.

HP printers should come with a 1 year warranty. Are you referring a stores 90 day warranty?

You can check your warranty using the HP Warranty Check Tool.

Have you tried following the article again since the problem reoccurred? If the article does not resolve the problem then you may need to have it serviced.

---------------

Student
livin_an-learn
Message 10 of 10 (2,354 Views)

I had the same problem with black lines wasting my ink when scanning with the HP 8600. First I turned off the printer for a few minutes. Second I turned on the printer. After turning on the printer said that there was new firmware available. I pressed the keypad to let the firmware update run. About 15 minutes passed because I have slow internet speed. After the update was complete, I scanned a paper in black and white and everything worked perfectly.  Thank you for this solution suggestion.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation