Officejet 4500 Will Not Send Faxes (1374 Views)
Student
theweave316
Message 1 of 1 (1,374 Views)

Officejet 4500 Will Not Send Faxes

[ Edited ]

I just got the HP Officejet 4500 for Christmas. It works great but I cannot get it to send a fax either directly or from the PC! It worked once for me when I first intalled it but wont' work again!

I don't know if it makes a difference but we use Rogers Home phone for our landline. I have tried faxing with the 3 phone splitter that we have, Officejet plugged directly into the jack, with or without the HP filter included.... no combo works!

I have another phone jack downstairs that is hooked up to an ancient fax machine/printer/scanner that I only used for faxing (not even hooked up to a computer.)  I took the OJ4500 down there, plugged it into that phone jack and it works perfectly.

I then noticed that the plug down there had a DSL pigtail thing from Bell on there so I unhooked it and hooked it up the same way up here and it still won't work! All I get is a very rapid busy signal, when I know that the fax machine is not busy at all!

Any suggestions on what I can try or do???

Edited to Add: I went and plugged a normal phone into the downstairs jack and it worked. I than hooked up the OJ 4500 to another phone jack in my room and it faxed from there. Then I took it back to my desktop and hooked it back up and now it says "Phone off Hook".. even though our cordless phone is plugged in and has a dial tone. So I ran a fax test (which, by the way, said earlier everything was okay.) and it said I had the cord plugged into the wrong jack, which is not the case. It is plugged into jack #1 on the printer!

The only thing that I can think of is this... when we were with Bell, my internet and phone ran through this same jack. When Rogers came to hook the Home Phone, they split the two... top one is my ethernet, bottom is my phone line. I had to phone Bell and get my internet jack hooked up as a "dry line"... is this the problem? The printer works on two different jacks but not the one that Rogers touched!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation