Question

Tutor
stude259
Message 1 of 25 (1,415 Views)
Accepted Solution

Officejet 4500 printer won't scan on new Windows 8 computer

My Officejet 4500 G510a worked fine with my Windows 7 computer.  For my new Windows 8 computer, I downloaded the appropriate HP driver and the printer prints and copies fine but will not scan.  It is connected by USB cable.  Windows Fax and Scan would not allow scanning either, nor would Paint.  I uninstalled all HP software and reinstalled it twice- still can't scan. Each time, after reinstalling driver, it starts to scan and hangs up with part of preview showing.  I got a message "HP cue scanning flow component has stopped working".  I ran HP print and scan doctor and it hangs up in the driver check section and will not proceed further. Any help would be appreciated

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 2 of 25 (1,398 Views)

Re: Officejet 4500 printer won't scan on new Windows 8 computer

Can you tell me how you are connected to your computer (USB, wireless, Ethernet)? Additinally, have you tried using this diagnostic utility :

PSDr

Let me know! 

-Spencer 

Tutor
stude259
Message 3 of 25 (1,387 Views)

I'm connected by USB.  The link you provided is HP print and scan doctor, which is the utility which I've tried several times and which hangs up in the driver check section when I try to run it. So, I've never been able to complete the diagnosis. 

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 4 of 25 (1,367 Views)

That indicates to me that you are not able to fully install the drivers. I am going to want you to reinstall the drivers after clearing all the files aout of the %temp% folder (you can access this by using Run and typing the folder name). Delete all the folders there (some will not allow you to delete them). Then in the Run dialog box type %appdata% and %programdata% respectively and delete the HP folders from both those locations. 

Be sure that the USB cord is unplugged during this entire time, and when you run the installation files from the driver download (and not the CD-ROM) pluf that cord in only when it directs you to. 

Make sure that the printer is also removed from Devices and Printers, Programs and Features as well as the Device Manager as well before you reinstall. 

-Spencer 

Tutor
stude259
Message 5 of 25 (1,352 Views)

Hi Spencer,

I did everything exactly as you described and the results are unchanged.  I still can't scan and everything acts the same.  I appreciate your efforts; is there anything else you can suggest?

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 6 of 25 (1,344 Views)

Can you create a different user account on your computer and try to install the printer on that user? 

-Spencer 

Tutor
stude259
Message 7 of 25 (1,323 Views)

Didn't help.  Maybe I should mention I also can't scan using either Windows Fax and Scan or Paint.  Thanks.

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 8 of 25 (1,313 Views)

Interesting, I am going to look into this further and see what solutions I can come up with for you. For now can you try installing the machine on another computer and/or create another user account on the same computer and try installing it there? 

-Spencer 

Tutor
stude259
Message 9 of 25 (1,307 Views)

I tried scanning from a separate account but that did not help.  Regarding using another computer, I could scan without problems with my older Windows 7 computer immediately before connecting it to my new Windows 8 computer.  That suggests there is probably no hardware problem with the printer.

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 10 of 25 (1,302 Views)

That also makes me think that there might be something with windows. I would see if the Windows firewall has all the the appropriate prorts open. Here is a list of those ports :

scanning.PNG

-Spencer 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation