Question

Honor Student
CatchandRelease
Message 1 of 54 (90,590 Views)

Officejet 4500

I have an Officejet 4500.  Today I tried to use the scanning feature and I'm getting a message that says, ""No Scan Options. Refer to device documentation to troubleshoot.."  I kept the paperwork that came with, but there is no section on troubleshooting the scanner.  I didn't change any settings to the computer...not sure why this happened suddenly.  The scanner was working before.  This printer is only about 4 months old.  Can someone tell me, do I have to uninstall and reinstall the software to get it working again?  Any advice?

I'm a little uneasy about this new problem, as I had an Officejet all-in-one 5500 that the scan features used to stop working about every few months and I would have to go to the website and install new drivers, and eventually even that stopped working.  After many many attempts with tech support to resolve the problem with no success, I gave up.  Since then, the PC and printer have been replaced.  Is it somehow user error (meaning ME!!) or defective HP products?   

Tutor
jac_jac
Message 2 of 54 (90,579 Views)

Re: Officejet 4500

[ Edited ]

Try this: (this is for J4580 but the same troubleshooting)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02450835&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3645100&tmp...

Edit by Katie_H (3/30/11): Fixing broken link

tkw Honor Student
Honor Student
tkw
Message 3 of 54 (90,530 Views)

Me too.  My 4500 only lasted a month before it acted up!!  I had a PSC 1600 that used to do the same thing.  Only the 4500 download reload didn't work.  I found if I keeping clicking cancel while it says it is loading Scan, it will default  on over to the scan screen and I can do a scan.  very annoying.  Message said it couldn't find a scan.msi file.  Gave me a long string to follow.  C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Local Settings\Temp\7sS1271\setup\scan\scan.msi.    When I traced thru I found it went down to the setup folder and stopped!!  No scan folder and no scan.msi file!!  This problem seems to crop up after I download security updates from Microsoft and/or HP.    I am running Windows XP, SP3.  Do HP and Microsoft have a communications problem??

tkw Honor Student
Honor Student
tkw
Message 4 of 54 (90,527 Views)

I just spent about 30 minutes reading other postings.  Seems HP has had this Scanning problem for a long long time!!  And acted like ostriches the who time.  Head in the sand.  What a shame.  Good equip.  My PSC 1610 lasted 5 years, almost daily use.  Guess I should have looke a little more closely at other brands.  Sigh!!!

Student
PlymouthMeeting
Message 5 of 54 (90,463 Views)

I encountered a similar problem - the LCD on the device displayed the message, but the PCs were alerting me to update the LCD.  It wanted to send the destinations from each networked pc to the Officejet.  That fixed the problem.  It had also impacted saving faxes to the PC, but that produced no error - it just stopped working, and I lost incoming faxes.

I am theorizing that it had lost a connection to the network, and restored itself, but lost the device to PC destinations.  Since networking is not reliable, the fax to pc is not reliable.

You are not alone:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-faxing-and-copying/Scaning/m-p/58530

Honor Student
bjzatx
Message 6 of 54 (87,976 Views)

The link failed, 

Honor Student
bjzatx
Message 7 of 54 (87,975 Views)

Re: Officejet 4500 won't scan

I have the same problem, can find no solution.  Guess I will have to fall back on my old Epson scanner.  OH well, live and learn.

KDA Student
Student
KDA
Message 8 of 54 (84,262 Views)

Have used HP Officejet(s) forever for both business and home but purchased a 2nd office HP Officejet 4500 and NO I don't know whether it's a G510 (a) (n) or any other letter but the fax worked fine, initially, but now continues to say DOWNLOAD FROM GLASS 1=YES, 2+NO, I press 2 then it goes into download documents from feeder AND THEN THAT'S AS FAR AS IT GOES. I've turned it off, I've re-tried many times and am ready to toss it out the 4th floor window.

I also would LOVE to know how it's supposed to SCAN ... other officejets go through a normal cycle to scan ... this one gives me errors messages about no scan device.

Naturally, the receipt is probably passed for returning and I just recently threw the box away!

ANY HELP, COMMENTS or suggestions ... money is money especially taking the risk of opening a 2nd location on limited funds for business.

Thanks!

Honor Student
Mayfly558
Message 9 of 54 (83,894 Views)

I getting this message when trying to scan at 1200dpi - at 600 dpi everything is fine..

so my question is - is the scanner not capable for whatever reason of scanning at this res - or it a problem with the scanner when choosing that res?

Student
MrNotHappy
Message 10 of 54 (81,976 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello Fellow Computer Users, It has come to my attention that HP is a negligent company bent on destroying and/or eliminating their customer base. I have spent time on the phone with HP customer service to the tune of 1 hr and 45 min. Not only did they not fix my problem, in the interim they tried to sell me upgrades on my PC, my ram, my OS, and the product I was trying to get fixed. Lets get to the nitty-gritty, my computer is OLD, when I say old I mean a circa 2001 Dell Dimension 2400. It has 1gb of ram, 40g hd,2.39ghz Intel processor, and OS is XP. That is how old this thing is. Having said that it is one of 4 computers of the same type we run at our office, they run great. I run Quickbooks, Firefox, Winamp, and Divx with no issues. This is where I have a problem, we purchased an Officejet 4500 all in one (Fax/Scan/Print) in March of 2011. I brought it back to the office, hooked it up, got it working and scanned about 6 documents. Now 3 months later, go to do a scan and it reads, "No Scan Options...See Manual" (or some such). I opened the support center program for HP and went to settings, under settings no options for the scanner appeared, fax,email, and print settings were all available, but it was as if the scanner was not optional. I assumed it was a driver issue, so I jumped online went to the HP site and ran their diagnostics tool. The tool recommended I download a driver update, so I did so, installed it, restarted the computer..... It still didn't work, this time, it gave no warning back, just went to idle after about 1min after I requested it to scan. Still no Scan Options in the support center program. Did the usual steps after this, uninstalled/re-installed the factory drivers, reset scanner, restarted computer ect. At this point I have spent an hour or so scratching my head, so I decide to call HP support.... I was able to get someone on the line pretty quickly (>2min) and went over the issues, The tech on the phone (from India surprise, surprise) wants me to let him connect remotely after he collected a handful of info from me. I reluctantly allowed him to connect, he proceeds to look at the stats on the computer, and immediately tries to sell me an upgrade. I turn him down, and explain that our office cannot afford any upgrades at this time, and that I just want this scanner to work. We proceed to sit on the phone in silence while he works.... for tens of minutes. Let me clarify, I have worked CSR (Customer Support Representative) for 6 months for a major ".com" as well as 7 years + customer relations in sales ect. When I say this was a bad call, I mean, it was awful. The operator "Sam" (short for Samut) proceeds to tell me to upgrade this computer to windows 7.... At this point 45+ min into the call, he tries to tell me 7 would run without any issues on this computer. Yes, he knows my stats. I shut him down on that with logic, saying NO, windows 7 will not run in remotely functional fashion on this computer, it needs at least 2gigs of ram, and even then it would crawl. He suggests I upgrade the ram. At this point I ask flat out, will this HP scanner work with windows XP? He skirts the question and offers to try something else. I also let him know that if HP cannot get this fixed he would see my name in lights on every tech forum from here to Zimbabwe. Now it's bad enough we can barely communicate due to language gaps {Content Removed} What happens next blew my mind, he proceeds to get back on the phone after about 20min of silence. (no exaggeration, I was told I would lose my job at the .com if I left a customer hanging for more than a minute.) He asks if it would be OK if I could run the scan from the computer rather than manually from the scanner, I replied why yes that would be wonderful. He opens the HP Support Center, finds the settings and low and behold the scanner options are still not there. He checks the ink under the printer settings, sits there for another 5min of silence cursor as still as the night air, and proceeds to tell me that it is not going to work. I ask for a supervisor, he lets me sit on open hold for another 20min. I eventually ask if he is still there, after a pause he asks if he can issue a call-back. I asked if a supervisor was available again, he said no, so I reluctantly agreed to the call back knowing that it was {Content Removed: Language Filter Evasion} The call was ended and the issue was unresolved. This is not my first poor experience with HP, lets just say I will NEVER buy another HP product, and I will give horrible reviews to all HP products I stumble across online. The customer support is about as adept as a drunken monkey, and the bloatware from HP is so invasive and so prolific that it takes an hour just to UN-install it all. I also find it very creepy how easy it was for them to remotely access my desktop but that is just my paranoia kicking in. Conclusion, if you like computers and their friendly gadget friends, avoid purchasing from a company that has no interest in customers. - Mr.Not Happy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation