Question

Student
tewill65
Message 1 of 8 (1,582 Views)

Officejet 6700 will not copy or scan

My Officejet 6700 will not make copies or scan anything.  When I try to make a copy the screen says "starting copy" but never does anything and I have to turn it off to get back to the main screen.  The same thing is happening when I try to scan.  If I try to scan to my computer it says it's "starting scan" and nothing happens then I get an error message stating that the machine is not connected to my computer. If I try to scan to a flash drive it gets to the point of "starting scan" but then just stays stuck at that point until I turn it off.  I've checked all the connectes and even tried the diagnotic doctor application with no success.  Any adive would be most appreciated.  The machine is less than a year old and it was purchased at Costco.  I'm sure they didn't get the warrantee.

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 2 of 8 (1,565 Views)

Re: Officejet 6700 will not copy or scan

Hey tewill65,

I see you are having an issue with your printer (Officejet 6700 Premium) not being able to copy/scan.  Have you checked to see if the printer will produce a scan or copy immediately after a power cycle?

• Unplug the printer while on
  • Unplug the other end of the power cord from the power source
  • Wait 30 seconds
  • Plug unit back up for power in direct wall outlet

As well, it is possible that the unit has an issue in the internal software of the printer.  A reset back to factory settings may get the unit back functioning as intended.  I will send these steps to you in a private message.  Please read Bob_Headrick's thread on printer resets, found here, prior to performing these steps.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 3 of 8 (1,559 Views)

Hey,

I got your message and thank you for the update.  If this issue is still continuing past performing the reset, then the issue is most likely in the device hardware or firmware.  

The last step that may be able to fix the issue is a firmware update, if one is available for your machine.  For information on how to update the firmware of an Officejet 6700 Premium click here.

If the firmware update still does not resolve your issue, then the next step is going to be product replacement. You mention that the printer is less than a year old.  That would make the printer still be under the original manufacturer's warranty.  I would advise calling HP Tech Support about your issue with this printer in this case.  Please click the link below to access the global contact page for HP Tech Support.

Contact HP Worldwide | HP

Best of luck,

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Honor Student
Leonie45
Message 4 of 8 (1,433 Views)

I am also having the same problem.I also cannot fax, but I guess this is because I can't scan. I have tried the pull the "plug out, wait 30 seconds and plug it back in" approach. No joy. I had already updated the firmware to the latest. Can I reload it just in case something went wrong? When I try to download it, the option is greyed out and I can't select it.

Could you please email me the instructions for a factory reset? I think this is my last hope!

Thanks

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 5 of 8 (1,417 Views)

Hey Leonie45,

I saw your post about the issue and have these steps.  I will send the information through a private message.  If you are not sure how to use this feature, please see the following post. 

How To Send A Private Message – Video: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to/How-To-Send-A-Private-Message-Video/td-p/8...

Before performing the steps in the private message please read Bob_Headrick's thread on printer resets, found here.

Jason

I am not an HP employee.
Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 6 of 8 (1,395 Views)

@Leonie45 

I got your PM about the issue.  If all steps have been performed for troubleshooting this issue and the resets are done with no success in regaining functionality, then the next step is going to be Product Replacement.  You mention the product is still under the factory warranty.

I would advise contacting HP Tech Support about your issue to see about product replacement under the factory warranty.

Contact HP Worldwide | HP

Hope this helps,

Jason

I am not an HP employee.
Student
MarcusHall60
Message 7 of 8 (1,025 Views)

I am also having the same problem. I also cannot scan or copy. I have tried the pull the "plug out, wait 30 seconds and plug it back in" approach. The firmware is up to date. I have read the concerns about factory reset and the printer is of no use to me currently. The printer is also out of warranty. 

Could you please email me the instructions for a factory reset? Thanks

Honor Student
Leonie45
Message 8 of 8 (1,016 Views)

I tried the factory reset. I went right into the maitenance menu and tried everything, no matter how extreme it seemed. I had nothing to lose! I didn't brick it, but I didn't fix it either - nothing changed.

Since mine was still under warranty, I took it back to the retailer who replaced it with another. All good since then.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation