Question

Student
Analytical-Jeff
Message 1 of 25 (14,217 Views)

Officejet Pro 8500 Premier ADF Does Not Pick Up Paper

I purchased an Officejet Pro 8500 Premier a couple of months ago. It has only been used as a printer on our

wireless network. All the print functions work fine on the network and the print quality is fine. We tried to make a copy using

the automatic document feeder for the first time the other day. The machine recognizes paper is inserted in the document feeder and displays the message "Original Loaded" on the front panel display. The machine does not pick up the paper  from the document handler when the copy button is selected, and an error message, "Reload Document and then Restart Job" displays on the front panel. After reloading the documents the same problem re-occurs.

I noticed that the roller that picks up the paper does not lower when the copy button is pushed. The roller is not turning and never contacts the paper. Tech support recommended cleaning the rollers, but this is not the problem, given the document handler has never been used and the roller never contacts the paper.

I have performed the partial reset per the HP Support Page with no success. The problem remains that the roller does not lower itself to contact the paper to feed paper from the document feeder.

All suggestions and solutions are welcome. 

Tutor
Engwaseem
Message 2 of 25 (14,179 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8500 Premier ADF Does Not Pick Up Paper

[ Edited ]

I would suggest trying to open the cover for ADF and checking that the part has been seated properly. Possibly it might not have been seated properly and since there is no link with the printer mechanism the roller will not lower automatically when it should. If all the mechanism is ok then RMA the printer as it is definitely faulty.

The document loaded pops up when a small sensor is depressed when paper is placed on the ADF and reload document request will for sure come as printer does not take the paper and is trying to pick it up and cannot do so since the mechanism is not working as it should. It automatically lowers. I have L7680 L7780 and others and know how this works and this is the only logical solution. If not RMA or return to HP as it must be under warranty and is for sure faulty. Hope you get it resolved.

Top Student
jbabych
Message 3 of 25 (14,010 Views)

Welcome to HP's 'upper end' printers: I have the previous model (7780) and exact same issue. Unfortunately for me, I was only using mine for printer for the first year and when I finally needed the adf for the first time...it didn't work, just like yours.  I've also had issue re: ink consumption (high) and losing wireless connection...same complaints as other 7780/8500's.

Bad design, poor/no QA and they pretty much just changed the model# without fixing the issue. When I called HP, they offered to replace mine with an 8500 'for a reduced price': I saw just as many bad comments as my 7780 after I placed the order AND I also found out that the HP guy I ordered the replacement from lied to me (I SPECIFICALLY asked if they were providing a NEW unit and he said they were; when I received my order confirmation, I reviewed the details of the order and it said it was a REFURB).    I called them back to complain re: refurb and they offered to send new one...for a 'higher, but still reduced price'. I said that was baiting/switching and then they offered to provide a new model for the original price. I asked if the problems I had already mentioned had been resolved: they couldn't/wouldn't answer that question...

Ongoing nonsense...I cancelled the order.  If you can, return yours...

Top Student
jbabych
Message 4 of 25 (14,007 Views)

BTW: HP will try to get you to follow their ADF repair document:

1) will tell you to reseat the rollers

2) will tell you to clean the rollers

NONE of these steps work. It's a design flaw and it wasnt fixed on at least a couple of models of their printers (7780, 8500...and perhaps others)

1) Fiddling with the roller position MIGHT get you using the ADF for a few pages but without touching it, it'll stop working again.

2) how does cleaning the rollers have anything to do with a roller assembly that does not drop down to even TOUCH the paper?!? Roller slippage only comes in to play if the paper/rollers are actually making contact: this is NOT a MIS-FEED issue, it is a NON-FEED issue.

Bad design, bad product. Ironically, a Office supply chain store was blowing out 8500's @ $200CDN, LESS THAN 1/2 price. I wonder why(!)

Honor Student
vondrlm
Message 5 of 25 (13,955 Views)

All of you are correct in each of your evaluations of this HP product and HP support.  The on-line chats are a waste of time as you get put though the same basic fixes. For what it is worth, I found my adf (automatic document feeder) was not working (not dropping to the paper stack).  I have all the current firmware and software updates installed.  I stumbled upon an unconventional fix, which appears to be working.  Set your paper type print settings, either in your app you are printing from or in the HP Solution Center, from "plain paper" to "preminum inkjet paper".  If slows down the printing but the adf drops each time at least.  My conclusion is that that printer is sound but HP has a firmware issue they are not recognizing.

Student
boatmanwjb
Message 6 of 25 (13,920 Views)

I have a similiar problem mines picks up the paper & sends it through copies the first side lets the ink dry then retracts the paper to print the 2nd. side but the ADF does not grab the doc. the printer takes the paper back flips it then spits it out & the 2nd. side is blank. I need help too. I called the help line & after 45min. & struggling with the communications language barrier they tell me they found a memo in there notes that you have to flip the doc. yourself the box says prints 2 sides. The old case of misleading info. Had I found this community I would have never bought this printer, this is the last HP product for me.  Boatmanwjb

Honor Student
vondrlm
Message 7 of 25 (13,875 Views)

I am replying to my own posting because after my 5th call to call center, I actually spoke with a tech with a little common sense and understanding of the problem.  Again, the problem...my 8500 wireless pro multifunction, stopped picking up paper from the tray because the feeder bar would not drop.  My first solution, found on this forum, was to set the paper type in the  print command from plain paper to Premium Inkjet Paper.  That solved the problem, but greatly slowed down the printer speed.  The solution proposed yesterday to me was to add a new HP printer to my Devices and Printers folder.  He suggested and I added, the HP Deskjet 6980.  I run WIN 7 and it is built into that op system so you don't need to download from HP.  Go int Printer Properties and select the standard TCP/IP port under the Advance Tab.  Make sure your new HP 6980 printer is tied to that port.  I found this solved my problem (meaning I recovered my print speed and could set print commands to plain paper again) , at least with another HP print driver.  He explained that the 8500 printer drivers are very large and have some issues.  The HP 6980 is a proven print driver and it most definitely works with the 8500.  

I hope this helps but as I always felt, it was a software/firmware issue and not a hardware issue.

Honor Student
vondrlm
Message 8 of 25 (13,872 Views)

As a followup to the above, you don't have to delete the 8500 but set the 6980 as the defult printer.  If you have other wireless computers that use the 8500, make sure you set to 6980 to be shared.

Student
stradelam
Message 9 of 25 (12,798 Views)

Hi vondrlm,

I am having the same issue with my HP 8500, but I am curious about your post. How is it that changing the printer settings will help with the ADF on top of the printer?

When printing 2 sided my printer works great. When it comes to making copies and faxing documents using the ADF, the pull roller does not come down most of the time. Usually I have to try again and again, for it to work. Its really a pain when I have a large document I need to fax or copy.

Any help you could give me in understanding your post would be greatly appreciated.

Student
nancythayer
Message 10 of 25 (12,524 Views)

If you look online, you will see that the ADF has been a continuing problem with the 8500 line.   I have tried everything.   I contacted HP and they told they would sell me a new printer for half the price.   At first, they quoted a price around $280 and I told them I could buy one in the store for less than that so I didn't see how they were giving me a deal.   The tech then offered it it for $240, no shipping charges and for another $20 I could have a 3-year extended warranty which covered future replacement of the printer by overnight delivery.  To my surprise, when I opened the box, I saw that the printer was labelled "refurbished".  I did not expect to pay retail for a used printer.  I am sending it back.   I am thinking about filing a complaint with the Florida Consumers Protection Agency as they have known about the defect and have not corrected it even on updated models of the 8500.   My friend bought a newer model 6 months ago and she is now unable to use the ADF.  Of course, if you speak to someone at HP, they don't acknowledge that it a big problem and even act surprised about it!!!!!!!  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation