Question
Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless A909g - Black Vertical Line
Replies (26)

Student
jhardgate
Message 11 of 27 (3,348 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless A909g - Black Vertical Line

I have an hp 8500n A909g. Have a black line on ADF feed. Cleaned 1 " glass several times. I also cleaned all the rollers. Noticed a tiny brown something under the glass right on the edge which matches where the black line is coming from. Is that causing the black line? If so can I unscrew the top of the glass scanner and remove the entire top to get to the 1 inch glass to remove the spot?

Honor Student
jrrauh
Message 12 of 27 (3,285 Views)

For Bob Headrick:

I saw you "fix" for the black vertical line in another post.

I have an Officejet 6500 with the same problem. I only see the flatbed glass and do not see another 1  inch piece of glass. Is this not the same configuration? There are at least 5 other emails on this thread with the same problem.

What is ADF? Do you have any additional information for fixing the problem on a 6500? Thanks!

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 13 of 27 (3,281 Views)

jrrauh wrote:

For Bob Headrick:

I saw you "fix" for the black vertical line in another post.

I have an Officejet 6500 with the same problem. I only see the flatbed glass and do not see another 1  inch piece of glass. Is this not the same configuration? There are at least 5 other emails on this thread with the same problem.

What is ADF? Do you have any additional information for fixing the problem on a 6500? Thanks!

The ADF stands for Automatic Document Feeder.  Unlike the flatbed portion which moves the scanner bulb and sensor across the page, the ADF positions the bulb on the left hand part of the glass (typically in an area with a small ~1" wide peice of glass) and then moves the page to be scanned across this.  Any spot on the glass in this area will result in a line on the scanned (or copied) page, but only when using the ADF.  If the line is also present when putting the source page on the flatbed glass then the spot is on the actual sensor.  In this case professional service will likely be required.

For the Officejet 6500 see this page, especially the video in Step 3.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
jrrauh
Message 14 of 27 (3,272 Views)

EXCELLENT!

Thank you!!!

Honor Student
missbabs
Message 15 of 27 (3,196 Views)

I didnt believe this would work but it did.  Thank you so much, this has been driving me crazy.  I tried all other methods, but it is this "hidden" strip of glass that is the culprit.  :womanvery-happy:

Student
roblsmith1080
Message 16 of 27 (3,101 Views)

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem although the thin vertical line was almost in the center. I also don't see a separate(?) 1" piece of glass on the far left but I cleaned the whole glass anyhow.

Finally I used a printer cleaning sheet and it lightened the line greatly. Although the cleaning sheet says to run it 4-5 times which I did thru the ADF, I ran it about 10 times turning the sheet aroung 180 degrees each time. I still had a very faint line but only about 1/2 way down. Figuring I probably used up the sheet, I took a second new sheet and after running it 2 times, the line was COMPLETELY GONE.

Hooray, I appreciated all the others comments.

Thanks to all,

Rob

Student
mikeforward
Message 17 of 27 (3,036 Views)

I had the same problem recently, black line on the right side documents. Opened up the ADF and found the glass stip which did have some slight smudges. Cleaned it thoroughly with glass cleaner and now the line is gone when I scan through the ADF.

Honor Student
see206
Message 18 of 27 (2,245 Views)

Thank you. That description of the location of the inch of glass was critical. Even the HP documentation didn't help me find the right glass to clean.

Student
ALShearin
Message 19 of 27 (1,752 Views)

THANKS!  Like others, I cleaned and cleaned and could not figure out why the line still appeard.  Thanks to your post, I cleaned the glass strip and now the black line is gone.  Thanks!!!!!

Student
GRH2014
Message 20 of 27 (1,174 Views)

My black line only appears when copying in the "black" mode. When copying in the "Color" mode the line doesnot appear. This is true when using both the flat bed and ADF! I have tried cleaning everything that I can get to!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation