Question

Tutor
ajmch
Message 1 of 7 (1,527 Views)
Accepted Solution

Officejet Pro 8600 Plus does not answer fax

It just does not react, although the Fax Test is OK (all PASS). I have made many tests. Sometimes (well only one time so far), it does recognize a call (I call from a mobile, but I know from customers that it doesn't answer to regular fax machines either) and connect. Sometimes, it gets the call but ask me to accept it, although Auto Answer is On. And most of the time, almost always, it does not react at all.

It is an Officejet Pro 8600 N911g Series. Brand new. It is connected to my PC (win7U) via USB, no wireless setup, no fancies at all. I have tried to make the setup manually and with the wizard, both directly on the printer and from the computer. Everything fine each and every time, including an all successfull Fax Test. But then no reaction. The line is a dedicated Fax line, with its own number, only for faxes. No problem for sending faxes. I tested the line on another printer (Epson PX830), with the same cable, just unplug the phone line on the Officejet and plug it on the Epson: no problem, all calls answered.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 2 of 7 (1,500 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8600 Plus does not answer fax

Hi ajmch,

When everything passes on a fax test, the report you get has a list of the fax settings on the bottom of the page.  Can you give me a list of all the settings on the report?  An example would be: 

Language - English

Country -     USA

How many phone lines do you have?

Do you have analog or digital phone service?

Is your Internet service and phone service from the same provider?

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Tutor
ajmch
Message 3 of 7 (1,494 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you, Rich1.

Here the list:

English

Switzerland

On

2 (also tried with more)

A4

Tone Dialing

Soft

All Rings

Redial

On

On

On (also tried with Off)

Medium (also tried with high/low)

Off

I have 3 active phone lines/numbers, including the fax. It is an ISDN service, with a device (NT) which splits the signals between digital (RJ45) and analog (RJ11) lines (fax is on an analog line, of course). I have an xDSL account on that same phone line (yes, same provider), the connection is done before the NT.

Yesterday, I called HP technical support in Germany. We made a few tests and it appeared that every time the fax line was used in any way (even as the 8600 actually didn't react), our international phone line (which was open at the same time) was disturbed: she could not hear me anymore and had to hang up. Everything was normal on my end. So she thought my phone system might have a problem with the 8600's modem.

She proposed I try to connect the fax with a 2 pole cable (instead of the 4 poles of the standard RJ11 connector). I tried to buy one, but didn't find any such cable at the store, so I ordered the thing later online. But the guy at the store asked me with some insistance why I would want such a cable so I briefly told him. He then asked about the NT, how old it was: over 10 years. He suggested I get a new one. So I also ordered a new NT. My provider agreed it could be the culprit (and will replace it for free).

I should get the cable and the new NT by tomorrow. I will test both and post the results.

Tutor
ajmch
Message 4 of 7 (1,476 Views)

It works with the new NT. I even could programm it with the fax: for analog lines, you have to enter your analog call numbers manually into the NT using some analog phone (or maybe some smarter device for pros, I guess). I just sent a few empty faxes with the codes as the numbers. I got some error message from the phone network, but the NT had already swallowed the codes by then. I haven't tried the cable: too happy it works, at last.

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 5 of 7 (1,472 Views)

Glad things are going good for you.  I recommend that you use the 2 wire phone line you purchased.  The printer only uses 2 wires and sometimes the 2 extra wires on a 4 wire phone line act as antennas and cause communication problems.  Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you. 

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Student
treeborn
Message 6 of 7 (1,414 Views)

HP fax test sheet says

English

USA

Letter

Tone Dialing

Soft

Triple Rings

Redial

On

On

On

Medium (14400)

Off

I changed the rings to 5 thinking that would help and it is set to auto but it still asks me to accept before it connects. What could be the problem  Thanks

Honor Student
jforneyiv
Message 7 of 7 (1,023 Views)

Okay, here's the fix.  I had the very same problem and stayed on the phone with my phone service carrier for an hour without success.  After toying around with the thing, I finnal figured it out.  On the print control panel, access the fax setup setting ;

Go through the fax setup wizzard on the control panel

Set the  distinctive ring setting to ALL RINGS (For Verizon Fios customers, the new digital voice phone service does not work with distinctive ring feature on a secondary line.  I got rid of the second line for that reason.  The primary line also acts as my fax line and picks up on the first 2 rings).

Auto Answer to ON

Rings to answer to 2

Even if you do have voice mail on the line that your fax uses set that setting to NO, otherwise you'll get the message that says that you have to manually received all faxes, which you don't want.  Answering the Voice mail question to NO is key during the fax wizzard setup.

Like some of you, I was about to toss my HP Officejet Pro 8600 in the trash until I stumbled upon this fix.  Hopes this helps out.  Good luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation