Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8600 Plus
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After a Windows 10 update, my printer will not scan from the touchpad. It will scan from the troubleshooter. I have unplugged and reset with no success. I have updated to the most recent HP software release for the printer. What else can I try?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello,

You can try to install from link here:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-officejet-pro-8600-plus-e-all-in-one-printer-seri...

Before installing HP software above, please uninstall your previous version first.

During the installation, select the Typical or Recommended type of installation when prompted by the software installer. If you choose a Minimum installation, read the description of each software component carefully to avoid unintended loss of printer functionality.

You can check via 'Control Panel' > 'Hardware and Sound' -> 'Devices and Printers' -> under 'Printers and Faxes'. There will be a green tick being marked at your printer if it connected successfully.

Hope this helps you.

Please click the “Kudos Thumbs up” on at the bottom button to show Thank you, and “Accept as solution” if this helps you to solve the problem.
[Although I am employed by HP, but I am speaking for myself, and not for HP].

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Are you trying to scan to computer (using the front panel touchpad)?

If you are, then please ensure that you have you FULL feature software installed first.

Can you download and install the FULL feature printer software from HP for your operating system:

The following resource will help you :

HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows
http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL50403/mp-150580-2/hppiw.exe

Once you have downloaded and installed the FULL feature software, you will be able to print and scan.

Next, you need to enable Scan to Computer.

How to Scan to Computer

Once you have installed the software:

1. Click on the printer Icon (on your desktop) and it will bring up the HP Printer Assistant.
2. Under the Scan menu, there is a “Manage Scan to Computer”, click on that.
3. Make sure that you “Enable” Scan to Computer. Also make sure the tab “Automatically start Scan to Computer when I log on to Windows” is checked if you want to make this feature permanent. (the following video will show you how)

Scan to Computer

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Hello,

Please try to run this "HP Print and Scan Doctor" tool to diagnose and resolve your printer problems. You may download from HP Print and Scan Doctor

In addition, you also can check via 'Control Panel' > 'Hardware and Sound' -> 'Devices and Printers' -> under 'Printers and Faxes'. There will be a green tick being marked at your printer if it connected successfully.

If not, please uninstall and reinstall again HP Full Feature Software and Driverpackage.

Please download from:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Officejet-Pro-8600-e-All-in-One-Printer-series---...

Once downloaded please follow the onscreen prompts to install your printer

Avoid plugging in the USB Cable until the installer prompts you to or configure a wireless printer

Once the installation is complete, please test printing and scanning.

Hope this helps for you.

Thank you.

Please click the “Kudos Thumbs up” on at the bottom button to show Thank you, and “Accept as solution” if this helps you to solve the problem.
HP Recommended

Manage scan to computer only applies to network connected printers apparently. I am USB connected which automatically defaults to scan to computer. I did download the newest software etc. Scan from Scan and Print Doctor works fine but I still can't scan using the touch screen on the printer.

HP Recommended

I tried as suggested above. I notice that the directions tells you where to launch the software in Windows 8 so I don't think the link is the most recent software. When I launch the software it just hangs up at about 75% complete. It never prompted me, up to that point to plug in the USB cable.

HP Recommended

In the HP printer assistant that I have, there is no option to Scan to Computer.

HP Recommended

The link only downloads the HP Basic software. It does not mention anywhere "Full feature driver and software package".

HP Recommended

Hello,

You can try to install from link here:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-officejet-pro-8600-plus-e-all-in-one-printer-seri...

Before installing HP software above, please uninstall your previous version first.

During the installation, select the Typical or Recommended type of installation when prompted by the software installer. If you choose a Minimum installation, read the description of each software component carefully to avoid unintended loss of printer functionality.

You can check via 'Control Panel' > 'Hardware and Sound' -> 'Devices and Printers' -> under 'Printers and Faxes'. There will be a green tick being marked at your printer if it connected successfully.

Hope this helps you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.