Question

Student
Rob_w
Message 1 of 6 (1,062 Views)

Officejet Pro 8600 plus scan to computer settings

[ Edited ]

I have an HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus and would like to understand if it’s possible to adjust the scan to computer settings. As per the manual after selecting scan to computer and document type an option to change resolution should be presented. I’ve tried all the doc type’s and no option is presented.

I’m running the latest firmware as per the HP website.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 2 of 6 (1,038 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8600 plus scan to computer settings

Hello Rob_w

What page of the manual are you referring to? Are you trying to scan from the printer panel or from Solution Center (the HP software)? You should be able to change the scan resolution.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
Top Student
larryvc
Message 3 of 6 (785 Views)

[ Edited ]

Since I have the same question, I will answer Travis_C's questions.  Let's see if I get a response here in this old, but on target,thread. I will start a new thread If I don't.

This manual: HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Series User Guide

Pages: 46 and 47

Scan to Computer is being accomplished from the printer panel.  There is no option for changing the resolution.  Once a document type is selected the only option is to Start Scan. It appears that they left this option out of the firmware.

With HP Printer Assistant software you can change the resolution, and many other settings, for all of the predefined and user created shortcuts, but only on the computer.  These are apparently not updated to the printer.

With my HP 7410, using HP Solution Center, there was an option to update the shortcuts on the printer. This option does not seem to be available for the HP 8600 Pro with HP Printing Assistant.

Am I missing something?

HP Support Agent
MissTeriLynn
Message 4 of 6 (768 Views)

Hi larryvc,

I understand you're looking for some additional information pertaining to your Officejet 8600 printer and the scanning functions from the front panel. I will do my best to give you an answer to the these questions.

After checking the software thoroughly myself I have found there is no option to add new shortcuts to the front panel of the printer. The newer software that is attached to your Officejet 8600 does not allow new shortcuts to be added to the front panel of the printer. As you stated it was a feature in the HP Solution Center that came with some of the older printers. However, you can edit the shortcuts that are already present and access those through the front panel.

To do this you will open the HP Printer Assistant and click on Scan a Document or Photo. Once the window opens with the different scan shortcuts, you can click on the one you'd like to use, such as Save as PDF, and then click Advanced Settings on the right side near the bottom. Once in Advanced settings you can change the resolution, the color (and whatever else is available) and then press OK. Once it goes back to the Scan Shortcuts screen you can click cancel and then when you scan from the front panel of the printer you should be able to select Save as PDF and have it use the settings you gave it until you go back and change those settings.

Hope this helps and hope you have a great day Larry!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster :smileyhappy:
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
larryvc
Message 5 of 6 (758 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi MissTeriLynn,

Thanks for getting back to me. I was able to change the resolution with the procedure that you outlined.

However, there are a couple of settings that are not "sticky" i.e. they don't stay as they are set.

The scan shortcuts always revert to Flatbed Glass thus causing the Scan both sides (duplex) checkboxes to become deselected. The Flatbed Glass/Automatic Document Feeder selection is made on the main page of the shortcut.  The Scan both sides (duplex) is on both the main page, when Automatic Document Feeder is selected, and also in the Advanced Settings (Scan tab) page.

I have not found a way to make the Scan both sides (duplex) setting to remain selected.  I believe this is an oversight in the implementation of the shortcut modification capabilities (aka a BUG).

It would be nice to have this feature fixed sooner rather than later, as it is a pretty simple firmware/software change.

Thanks again

HP Support Agent
MissTeriLynn
Message 6 of 6 (728 Views)

Hi Larry,

You are welcome, and thank you for letting me know the results.

I did go to test for myself to see what you were saying, and I believe you are correct, it does not hold the setting for duplex scanning. If you want to do duplex scanning, it will have to be done through the software.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster :smileyhappy:
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation