Question

Student
CP_Charlie
Message 1 of 1 (100 Views)

Photosmart 6520 Limited scanning options

I've switched to a Photosmart 6520 after my Photosmart b110a finally gave up. The 6520 printer assistant software has significantly less features than the b110a HP Solution Center when it comes to scanning. Despite having the same scanner specifications and working at 1200 dpi in colour on both printers, my scans from the 6520 are not as detailed or focused compared to what I got from the b110a - I suspect (or hope) that it's a software rather than a hardware issue. As far as I can tell the following features from the b110a are missing when scanning pictures/photos on the 6520:

In Advanced Picture Settings:

-Restore faded color

-Apply adaptive lighting

-Sharpen

-Remove dust and scratches

-Scan with higher bit depths

Scan Preferences:

-Automatically straighten scanned images

-Automatically adjust exposure

-Automatically adjust color

-Use ehanced color (vivid color)

-Automatically adjust black and white threshold

Question 1: I've primarily been using 'Scan with higher bit depths' and 'Automatically adjust exposure' to get good results on the b110a however, these options don't exist on the 6520, or do they and I've not found them yet?

Question 2: Is the 6520 scanner just not as good as the b110a scanner and I should not expect them to be comparable?

Question 3: Does HP have a printer + software package that has all of the above features? If so, what printer/scanner model would I need to upgrade to?

Question 4: If not, would third-party software improve my initial results from the scanner (i.e. I'm not talking about touching up in photoshop later)? If so, which ones would people recommend?

Many thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation