Question

Honor Student
renkenj
Message 1 of 33 (3,960 Views)

Photosmart 7510 Long Delay Between Scans from ADF

I have the HP Photosmart 7510 installed on Windows XP. The only unique thing about my setup is that my computer is a dual-boot Macintosh running Boot Camp, but I don't think this is relevant to my problem.

When scanning several documents in the ADF (75 or more to be exact) after the 75th page, there is a 25 second delay before each page is scanned. No amount of rebooting of the computer, reinstalling of the drivers, scan resolution adjusting, or turning off and on of the printer will eliminate this 25 second delay between scans. Additionally, after this delay is introduced, the delay is also present when making a copy from the ADF. There is NO delay when copying from the glass. This suggests to me that the problems is contained within the printer and not related to my individual computer. To be sure, I installed the software on another computer. Same results.

I have come to all of these conclusions because after several hours of personal frustration, I spent 1 1/2 hours on the phone with HP tech support. The final solution suggested by the tech on the phone was to press a series of secret codes to get to a service menu (Home, Return, X, Return) and initiate a partial reset of the system. It fixed the 25 second delay...until you scan another 75 sheets. Then you're back where you started. I even returned my original 7510 unit to the store and got the 7515 in hopes that I had a lemon. Nope, same results. 

The "solution" is easy enough to do, but it takes several minutes to go through the menus and reset it, not to mention using up ink for the printhead alignment process. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a hardware bug? Is there a firmware update?

Grad Student
Blanco474
Message 2 of 33 (3,833 Views)

Re: Photosmart 7510 Long Delay Between Scans from ADF

Hi, Let me help you with your HP Photosmart 7515 e-All-in-One Printer - C311a

The behavior that you are seeing  in your printer is normal in that product, this printer is merely  design to home users where their needs are not as high compared to business users. The unit  reduces its speed to prevent overheating the motor in the Automatic-Document-Feeder (ADF). So, there is nothing wrong with that behavior  and you can still use it even if the speed of scanning or copying through  the ADF reduces. I hope this information is helpful.

If you still believe that this unit does not meet your needs, you can upgrade the unit to  the HP Officejet 8600 series: 

http://www.shopping.hp.com/store/product/product_detail/CM749A%2523B1H

I am an HP employee, Printer/All-in-One Expert.
Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star. Please mark the post that solves your problem as an Accepted Solution so other forum users can utilize the solution.
Honor Student
auhlman
Message 3 of 33 (3,782 Views)

I was disappointed when I discovered this same problem and the read this post, but decided to keep the printer as I rarely, if ever, scan such documents.  I was figured if the unit needed to cool down, it wouldn't be a problem as I might scan 1 document a month over 3 pages.  However, now I found that when I try to scan anything with the ADF, I get the same pause immediately after 1 and a half pages.  The unit is obviously not overheating as it has not been used for at least a week.  If this is part of the design as you say, then it is a poor design.  As for the recommendation of the Officejet 8600, it does not have the same photo quality or use a photo black cartridge.  Is there a remedy for this, or am I returning it and buying a Canon or Epson?

Honor Student
auhlman
Message 4 of 33 (3,778 Views)

FYI My pause between scans is closer to 2-4 minutes.
Grad Student
Blanco474
Message 5 of 33 (3,770 Views)

Hi, are you scanning to the PC or a memory card?

It should not take that long. I am running at test right now  and scanning 10 pages to a memory card  took around 101 seconds. If you are scanning to a PC, then the problem may be with the communication of the port. Let me know how you are scanning so I can help you.  

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star. Please mark the post that solves your problem as an Accepted Solution so other forum users can utilize the solution.
Grad Student
Blanco474
Message 6 of 33 (3,760 Views)

If you connect your unit via USB, the information when scanning will flow very quickly to the PC, you will not see any pause between pages.

If you connect your printer via wireless, the amount of information  is a lot and you could experience a pause between pages, the time of the pause will depend on the speed of your wireless and how strong the signal is. 

A pause in your unit while scanning wirelessly does not mean a problem with the hardware or software in your printer, it is due to  the speed of your wireless connection. 

Honor Student
renkenj
Message 7 of 33 (3,756 Views)

For my scenario described previously, I used only the USB cable and had not set up the wireless function. If I may challenge your first sentence, the pause between pages came after using the ADF continuously and via USB. After that there would always be a pause introduced, even with the copy function on the unit using the ADF, until I would reset the unit.

I gave up messing with it and returned the unit and went back to my Canon. 

Honor Student
dfidoe
Message 8 of 33 (3,625 Views)

Can you tell me how to do the reset?

Honor Student
bigdano
Message 9 of 33 (3,437 Views)

This problem is a failure by HP at all levels.

This is a documented problem with this model, yet the service representative I spoke on the phone with did not have any idea about this issue.  In addition, the service representative told me the wrong procedure to get to the service menu for this printer.  He kept having me press RETURN, HOME, RETURN, RETURN to get to the service menu which was completely wrong.

While on the phone, I told him about this thread on the HP Support Forum and decided to get into the service menu myself by following the instructions in the post above.  It took me to the engineering menu, and when I told him that, he became really scared because he said I could mess up my printer and cause it to not work.

Anyway after messing around through the menus under the engineering menu, I actually came across where he wanted me to be all along and we performed a reset on my machine!

HP Service on the phone has been outdone by a member on this forum!

So far

1. The engineers have failed HP's customers and this machine because after some scans (about 75 like the post above says) the feeder will feed a page, and hang up for about 20-30 seconds for EACH PAGE.

The argument that this is for heat purposes is BOLOGNA!  The feeder does this for even ONE PAGE after a good 30 minutes of sitting idle!  I did not have a chance to try to let it sit overnight because I just bought this thing 6 hours ago and it is going back on store shelves first thing in the morning!

2.  Support has failed HP's customers and this machine multiple times... the above support representative suggest the Original Poster go out and buy a different model more geared toward business users because this is normal for this product as it provides protection against overheating.  Like I said, this explanation is BOLOGNA because the scanner CONTINUES to do this even after letting it sit for a long time and it does it on the FIRST PAGE.  I could make a good guess that there are no heat sensors used whatsoever, and if there are, HP's engineers didn't incorporate them into the machine the way they should have been.

3.  This issue has to be known somewhere within Hewlett-Packard.  Somebody has dropped the ball on this and knowledge is not being transferred.  This seems like it could be fixed with a simple software update, but if it can't and the hardware is to blame, HP Corporate has failed their customers with a thorn in what otherwise appears to be a nice machine.  The problem is the thorn just might not have been big enough for HP Corporate to be concerned about, as their analysis proved it would be far more expensive to correct this problem than simply let it be.

So... this is now a documented problem.  This printer has a delay issue when scanning from the Automatic Document Feeder.  It simply doesn't get the job done.

Shame on you HP.

I will be returning this tomorrow, and I urge you all to do the same.  And if you are reading this, yet another lesson on how poor phone support actually is these days.  Companies are continuously relying on the consumer more and more to do their own research as it will save money on customer support.

Well guess what HP, I just saved you a whole lot of money because I actually spoke with the phone tech and explained to him what this design flaw really was.  He couldn't even manage to get me to the service screen!  Not only did I not send this unit in for repair... I will be returning it and save you the hassle of having to pay all your employees to fix an issue that has to be already known about somewhere in your corporation.  And now I have provided you with a golden opportunity.  FIX IT.

Honor Student
ashbrook
Message 10 of 33 (3,282 Views)

I wish I had know about this before I bought the dam thing!! This is expressly why I bought the thing in the first place, I have hundreds of photos that I wish to archive and now I am going to have to sit and wait???

Not sure what to do now, I think it is still in warranty? but now I am stuck with a machine that will not do what it is supposed to? 

Any suggestions on what to do??

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation